XiaoMi Yi dashcam focus problems

Sami, temperature under glass of car may reach 50-60 deg. Celsius. Additionally, the camera gets hot inside during operation. Can you assure us that the international version of Xoaomi Yi Dashcam in these conditions will not lose focus again? There is going summer soon, so temperature outside will reach ~30 deg. Celsius in Europe.

Sami, temperature under glass of car may reach 50-60 deg. Celsius. Additionally, the camera gets hot inside during operation. Can you assure us that the international version of Xoaomi Yi Dashcam in these conditions will not lose focus again? There is going summer soon, so temperature outside will reach ~30 deg. Celsius in Europe.
It would function OK in those conditions, thanks for asking

And dear tiz, we never declare our chipset is A12, Novatek customised the chipset for YI company independently, thanks
Well it seems like you actually do declare is A12 on your website :)

Attachments

• A12.png
    A12.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 50
thanks for asking

So I would like to ask you more. What about previous question, can you answer?

And more... I would like to buy international, improved version on Geekbuying but there is a note "Not available for Poland, Israel, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Burma". What is this mean? That they can't ship it to Poland and why? Or that means that hey can ship but international version doesn't suppor polish language?

Well it seems like you actually do declare is A12 on your website :)
Hi Paradox, thanks for pointing out. But that's really a paradox. A12 doesnt really mean Ambrella 12, since Novatek name in that way, we just took that name.

And more... I would like to buy international, improved version on Geekbuying but there is a note "Not available for Poland, Israel, Korea, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Burma". What is this mean? That they can't ship it to Poland and why? Or that means that hey can ship but international version doesn't suppor polish language?
You probably should ask Geekbuying directly. You have the option to buy directly from the manufacturer thru Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/B01C89GCHU

Hi Paradox, thanks for pointing out. But that's really a paradox. A12 doesnt really mean Ambrella 12, since Novatek name in that way, we just took that name.
Me and almost all my colleagues here on DCT know that the chip is a customised Novatek NT96660, not Ambarella A12. I knew this well before ordering my unit and i had no problems with it. The thing is that for not_so_informed buyers this might be a bit misleading thinking they will get a unit powered by Ambarella A12.

Last edited:

For previous question is something confidential so I may can't reply. And for the note from geekbuying, because of the contract between geekbuying and our company, we have distributors in these countries and we have to protect them in case of vicious price competition. For these countries, we can give the official distributor list so you can buy directly from there

What customised chipset is it exactly? 96660?
They say it's confidential but i unraveled this mistery here https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/xiaomi-yi-dashcam-focus-problems.18360/page-2#post-241525
Sami, you guys should do a better job covering your tracks :D

Disclaimer: I'm not by any means on these forums to bash your company nor your product. I think I can speak on the behalf of most of the users of this community when I say I'm more than happy to iron out the bugs/issues of this product with you. All we need from you is a little bit more openness. If there are confidential informations you don't want to leak I can contact you in private and sign a NDA.

Best regards,
Mihai

And for the note from geekbuying, because of the contract between geekbuying and our company, we have distributors in these countries and we have to protect them in case of vicious price competition. For these countries, we can give the official distributor list so you can buy directly from there
So I can buy this international, improved version only through Xiaoyi.pl in Poland or can I buy through Amazon.co.uk? When it will be available in Amazon.co.uk?

Second question is about HDR? Is HDR still in improved, international version? When will it start work? Because in previous chinese version HDR didn't work at all.

So after all, what are the improvements in international version? You said the HW is the same, right?
So, it is all about sw then? Like FW? then why don't you tell us the improvements so we can improve our cameras by ourselves?
Although I doubt that heating issue can be solved by sw.

I may found the focus issue problem ... I think it is the lens !
I took the lens block from my old SJ4000 and put it in XiaoYI and then I let it record for two hours and I didn't notice any quality degradation.
But the test was done with camera disassembled in the office, so it may not heat as it does when it is assembled in its case.
But the optics from SJ is a little larger then Xiaomi's so I cannot close the case. I have to enlarge the case so the optics can come to the front of the case.
I'm not sure if I want to do this ... If I want to come back to Xiaomi's optics then I will have a gap between the case and the lens.
I think the next test will be to let it record as it is now, spread over the desk, but with a hairdryer on top of it :)

IMG_20160421_125908-1200.jpg IMG_20160421_125916-1200.jpg IMG_20160421_130100-1200.jpg

lens comparison between SJ: lentila SJ.JPG and Xiaomi: lentila XY.JPG

I like more the SJ lens, I will test the camera with this optics for couple of days and post the result.

Very cool if changing the lens is all we need to do; I will do it to it, too! Thank you for figuring out how to doing it!! It looking like the 6G lens in the Xiaomi Yi dash cam has some chromatic aberrationing around the fluorescent light source within your building, and is corrected by the sjcam lense replacement hardware hack. Is it easy to replacing the Xiaomi Yi lense ? I wondering

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how it performs at night too - ages ago I swapped a Mobius B lens into a G90 and it improved video quality but night footage became weird with starbursts as the firmware was tuned for the Xiaomi lens.

In theory if it was all automatic it shouldn't care what lens is on there and behave accordingly.

It may even turn out to be the glue causing the lens to refocus in heat and just removing that may help.

YIcameraCS give me a answer please.
Hi Slayer, sorry about the late reply. You can buy from xiaoyi.pl without problems (this site is managing by our Poland distributor), currently we are not sure if we supply on amazon uk. We adopted Ultra-high Sensitivity Imaging and Night Vision components, it can perform well at day and night, it's not HDR features though

V\ It looking like the 6G lens in the Xiaomi Yi dash cam has some chromatic aberrationing
This is obliviously issue while I first got the yi cam and shoot in the room.

Back