A229 Pro Overheating

I hate to bump this post, but I ran into the same issue today. I went to work today and unfortunately had to have my car sit in the hot sun with no shade and the parking mode in the heat, didn't even last an hour. 30c for the high today. My car has all XPEL XR Plus around excluding the front windshield since it's illegal where I live, to have any front windshield tinted. Huge dissapointment since I love the quality of the dashcam and footage, just installed a dash cam battery, only to find it won't even last an hour out in this heat. Anybody find a solution by chance? I'm running Viofo 512gb Micro SD card. @VIOFO-Support

What other dash cams would be able to tolerate the high temperatures right now?

Last edited:
I tried testing that on 9/27/23, the Pro runs 28℉ (16℃) hotter than the Plus;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-test-review-pp.49779/post-603138
Thanks for this test, @Panzer Platform, it was an eye opener in terms of heating.
This is the reason I got A229 Plus 2CH, instead of Pro.
Reliability is most important.
I'm currently using a 2x Mini 2 and am quite happy with the 2K performance.
Hopefully Viofo will eventually be able to match the performance of the A229 Plus with the Mini2, including HDR at night.
Don't know why it takes so long with the same hardware x2.

Which are the best VIOFO cameras for performance in heat?

I hate to bump this post, but I ran into the same issue today. I went to work today and unfortunately had to have my car sit in the hot sun with no shade and the parking mode in the heat, didn't even last an hour. 30c for the high today. My car has all XPEL XR Plus around excluding the front windshield since it's illegal where I live, to have any front windshield tinted. Huge dissapointment since I love the quality of the dashcam and footage, just installed a dash cam battery, only to find it won't even last an hour out in this heat. Anybody find a solution by chance? I'm running Viofo 512gb Micro SD card. @VIOFO-Support

Blackvue 970 box version seems to be the most heat resistant, albeit it suffers from other ailments (mostly not stellar front cam video, and obsolete rear cam resolution).

We have contacted you via the conversation to help you out.

Can you tell us what configuration the camera was in when it overheated in parking mode, (1-CH, 2-CH, 3-CH)?

In normal recording mode in 3-CH configuration the Bitrates are;
36 Mbps: Front
24 Mbps: Rear
15 Mbps: IR Interior
When parking mode is engaged all channels drop to 4 Mbps.

In normal recording mode in 2-CH Rear configuration the Bitrates are;
60 Mbps: Front
24 Mbps: Rear

Would having it set to Max bitrate apply to the dashcam while it's in parking mode?

Anyone in the UK getting overheating problems? I’m torn between this and the Thinkware U3000.

Anyone in the UK getting overheating problems? I’m torn between this and the Thinkware U3000.
At the moment, on this forum you can only find ONE mention of turning off the A229 Pro due to high temperature.
Although there are enough users from all over the world here.

I went to work today and unfortunately had to have my car sit in the hot sun with no shade and the parking mode in the heat, didn't even last an hour. 30c for the high today.
There are two possiblilites
1. the power source is overheating and stopping sending power to the camera
2. the camera is going too hot.

What power source are you using?

I'm in the middle of investigating why one of my A229 Pro (with rear camera) configurations is powering down on its own. Its power is sourced from a dash camera battery pack (tried two different battery packs) and it is obtaining its 5V power from a VIOFO HK4 hardwire kit.

I'll have the car parked for about 30 minutes and the A229 Pro in low bitrate parking mode usually at stop number 3 along my driving route. I'll start the car and the A229 Pro will resume normal mode recording. I start to drive away and within 1 to 2 minutes the A229 Pro will power down. I'll hear the power down chime from the A229 Pro while driving. The outside temp has been in the mid 70F range and the inside car temp has been around 95F when I returned to the car and started the engine and the inside A/C. This has happened twice in two weeks at about the same location in my weekly driving route. The first time this occurred, I pressed the power button on the A229 Pro to power it up when I stopped at the stoplight right after the power down event. It remained powered up for the remainder of the drive (one more parking mode sessions and two normal mode sessions). The second time this occurred, I left the A229 Pro off. I wanted to see if it would restart on its own. It did restart after the next parking mode session when I started the car to drive home.

To try and identify what is causing the A229 Pro to power down, I switched the battery pack that was supplying the 12V power to the HK4 hardwire kit. That did not resolve the issue. Next, I've swapped out the HK4 hardwire kit for another HK4 hardwire kit. Both HK4 hardwire kits are the "optimized" versions with the "20 AWG + 24 AWG" wiring. I'll test that configuration on my next drive on the same route. If it happens again, I'll swap out the GPS module/mount since the 5V power is passing through that unit to get to the A229 Pro front camera. If those steps don't resolve the issue, VIOFO has stated they may send me a special firmware which I would imagine might track/log some data in the video to help diagnose the issue.

The four other dash cameras in this same car have not had any problems (BlackVue DR970X-2CH, Thinkware U3000 2CH, VIOFO A129 Pro 1CH, VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH).

I'm in the middle of investigating why one of my A229 Pro (with rear camera) configurations is powering down on its own. Its power is sourced from a dash camera battery pack (tried two different battery packs) and it is obtaining its 5V power from a VIOFO HK4 hardwire kit.

I'll have the car parked for about 30 minutes and the A229 Pro in low bitrate parking mode usually at stop number 3 along my driving route. I'll start the car and the A229 Pro will resume normal mode recording. I start to drive away and within 1 to 2 minutes the A229 Pro will power down. I'll hear the power down chime from the A229 Pro while driving. The outside temp has been in the mid 70F range and the inside car temp has been around 95F when I returned to the car and started the engine and the inside A/C. This has happened twice in two weeks at about the same location in my weekly driving route. The first time this occurred, I pressed the power button on the A229 Pro to power it up when I stopped at the stoplight right after the power down event. It remained powered up for the remainder of the drive (one more parking mode sessions and two normal mode sessions). The second time this occurred, I left the A229 Pro off. I wanted to see if it would restart on its own. It did restart after the next parking mode session when I started the car to drive home.

To try and identify what is causing the A229 Pro to power down, I switched the battery pack that was supplying the 12V power to the HK4 hardwire kit. That did not resolve the issue. Next, I've swapped out the HK4 hardwire kit for another HK4 hardwire kit. Both HK4 hardwire kits are the "optimized" versions with the "20 AWG + 24 AWG" wiring. I'll test that configuration on my next drive on the same route. If it happens again, I'll swap out the GPS module/mount since the 5V power is passing through that unit to get to the A229 Pro front camera. If those steps don't resolve the issue, VIOFO has stated they may send me a special firmware which I would imagine might track/log some data in the video to help diagnose the issue.

The four other dash cameras in this same car have not had any problems (BlackVue DR970X-2CH, Thinkware U3000 2CH, VIOFO A129 Pro 1CH, VIOFO A139 Pro 1CH).
Now this is interesting...
Don't have an A229 Plus to set it up next to for testing?

I'll swap out the GPS module/mount
I had a strange GPS malfunction on my last drive 3 days ago.
I had three dash cams running for this 45 minute non-stop trip;
A229 Pro 3-CH
A229 Pro 2-CH
A229 Plus 3-CH
The A229 Pro 3-CH did not have the speed, and GPS coordinates on the recorded footage, (it just said 000 MPH and no coordinates) for the entire 45 minute recording session in normal recording mode.
The A229 Pro 2-CH & A229 Plus 3-CH had the correct Speed & GPS coordinates on the recorded footage.
The next time I turned on the A229 Pro 3-CH it got GPS signal within 2 seconds, and started functioning properly like nothing ever happened.
I’m going to swap the locations of the A229 Pro 3-CH, and A229 Pro 2-CH to see if the GPS module/mount is the problem.

Now this is interesting...
Don't have an A229 Plus to set it up next to for testing?
I do have an A229 Plus, but it's installed in another vehicle and I don't have another rear camera to connect to it (right now). I'm getting a rear camera for it in the next couple of weeks for that other vehicle.

I have a second A229 Pro 2CH (with rear camera) installed in my wife's car. She drives that car to her job site once per week and parks it outside for 9 hours. So far, there have been no unexplained power down events with that dash camera installation. It's only now starting to get "warm/hot" during the day in our section of northern California.

The other thing to note about the A229 Pro in my car is the second time the power down occurred it was in the same location, but it was not with the same amount of runtime. This past Friday, I drove to nearby city to check out a used car for potential purchase. My car was driven an extra 15 miles in each direction (city traffic) and parked 30 minutes while I was checking out the used car. After resuming my normal weekly driving route, it was just after the second parking mode session when the power down event took place.

My weekly driving route has multiple parking mode sessions.
  • 15 minute driving segment
  • 10 minute parking mode
  • 10 minute driving segment
    • Week two replaced this 10 minute driving segment with two 30 minute segments and a 30 minute parking mode session.
  • 20 minute parking mode
  • 5 minute driving segment
  • 20 minute parking mode
  • 15 minute driving segment
    • About 1 to 2 minutes into this driving segment is when the power down event takes place
  • 30 minute parking mode
  • 25 minute driving segment

Back