A229 Pro Overheating

I hate to bump this post, but I ran into the same issue today. I went to work today and unfortunately had to have my car sit in the hot sun with no shade and the parking mode in the heat, didn't even last an hour. 30c for the high today. My car has all XPEL XR Plus around excluding the front windshield since it's illegal where I live, to have any front windshield tinted. Huge dissapointment since I love the quality of the dashcam and footage, just installed a dash cam battery, only to find it won't even last an hour out in this heat. Anybody find a solution by chance? I'm running Viofo 512gb Micro SD card. @VIOFO-Support

What other dash cams would be able to tolerate the high temperatures right now?

Last edited:
I tried testing that on 9/27/23, the Pro runs 28℉ (16℃) hotter than the Plus;
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/a229-pro-test-review-pp.49779/post-603138
Thanks for this test, @Panzer Platform, it was an eye opener in terms of heating.
This is the reason I got A229 Plus 2CH, instead of Pro.
Reliability is most important.
I'm currently using a 2x Mini 2 and am quite happy with the 2K performance.
Hopefully Viofo will eventually be able to match the performance of the A229 Plus with the Mini2, including HDR at night.
Don't know why it takes so long with the same hardware x2.

Which are the best VIOFO cameras for performance in heat?

I hate to bump this post, but I ran into the same issue today. I went to work today and unfortunately had to have my car sit in the hot sun with no shade and the parking mode in the heat, didn't even last an hour. 30c for the high today. My car has all XPEL XR Plus around excluding the front windshield since it's illegal where I live, to have any front windshield tinted. Huge dissapointment since I love the quality of the dashcam and footage, just installed a dash cam battery, only to find it won't even last an hour out in this heat. Anybody find a solution by chance? I'm running Viofo 512gb Micro SD card. @VIOFO-Support

Blackvue 970 box version seems to be the most heat resistant, albeit it suffers from other ailments (mostly not stellar front cam video, and obsolete rear cam resolution).

We have contacted you via the conversation to help you out.

Can you tell us what configuration the camera was in when it overheated in parking mode, (1-CH, 2-CH, 3-CH)?

In normal recording mode in 3-CH configuration the Bitrates are;
36 Mbps: Front
24 Mbps: Rear
15 Mbps: IR Interior
When parking mode is engaged all channels drop to 4 Mbps.

In normal recording mode in 2-CH Rear configuration the Bitrates are;
60 Mbps: Front
24 Mbps: Rear

Would having it set to Max bitrate apply to the dashcam while it's in parking mode?

Back