Is the GOPRO Worth the money?

I think OP wanted better than HD :ROFLMAO:

Is it really HD, or was that a mistake?

It's:
4K 30fps
2K 60/30fps
1080P 120/60/30fps
720 120/60/30fps

Edit: It is possible that when they say, "It's powerful night specific lens let's you shoot HD video even in dimly lit scenes.", they mean that night vision is limited to HD resolution vs the 4K daylight lens option.

BTW, I notice it also features a "car mode" so it might also be usable as a dash cam, although as an action camera it does run on a battery.

Last edited:
So I think the problem with this action cameras is they have a narrow viewing angle but nowehere does it say "DO NOT USE" Narrow basically squiches the wide viewing angle. So I made a video in wide viewing angle and it is way clearer.
I don't really understand what you're talking about.
Can you upload some sample footage comparisons to YouTube?

I don't really understand what you're talking about.
Can you upload some sample footage comparisons to YouTube?
It has a mode with digital zoom, which gives a narrower viewing angle (Field of view), but if you zoom in x2 then you have half the resolution, and if you have stabilisation on as well, which zooms in a little further with digital zoom, then your real resolution is probably less than FHD.

Same is true of the GoPro.

I've always found it best to steer clear of any form of digital zoom on any camera including point and shoot still cameras. The results are always a disappointment.

The other thing is that Pergear is not your typical Chinese generic GoPro clone outfit. They have a reputation for producing modestly priced but decent quality advanced amateur and semi-pro camera gear,
I thought a similar thing with the Xiaomi Miji 4K
But realistically had nothing to do with Xiaomi, just used their app,
The cam was made by FIMI who never finished it.... Before going onto the fimi palm and not finishing that, before going onto the fimi palm 2 and not finishing that, before releasing the fimi palm 2 pro ...

Digital zoom is a atrocity, and it should have its own name in which the word Zoom at least dont figure.
I suggest +/- making a fool of yourself.

Today a member posted about a new dual lens 4K action camera from SJCAM that looks intriguing. It appears to have a much narrower angle of view than many other action cams, claiming 130º. It's not yet on the market but imminent and perhaps it might better meet your needs.

I could be mistaken but I have the ominous feeling it will use old sensors, the last few SJCAM models I've seen reviewed on YouTube are using the years old sensors from like SJ7/8/9 days apparently, and it shows. Dead man walking eep

I could be mistaken but I have the ominous feeling it will use old sensors, the last few SJCAM models I've seen reviewed on YouTube are using the years old sensors from like SJ7/8/9 days apparently, and it shows. Dead man walking eep

Yeah, I too am interested to see how this will play out. Nevertheless, the camera is an interesting concept, no?

Yeah, I too am interested to see how this will play out. Nevertheless, the camera is an interesting concept, no?
Most definitely. Even if the sensors aren't great at least someone is giving it a shot.

I saw that the other day on PetaPixel too. What worries me though is that maybe it's interpolated 4k? Then again the 50 megapixel sensor doesn't lead to that. We need specs of the sensor.... Cos the price is way too cheap.
Specs don't mean much these days, plenty of manufacturers are quoting chips and specs, but the implementation of those specs via the firmware needs to deliver... (And often fails)
Plenty promise H265 but firmware only delivers H264, same for 4k/60, or low bitrate files

Case in point ... 12mp sensor so fake
50fps, most likely double framed

Also mass production mysteriously find a different chip or sensor than review samples

Last edited:
Alas, you are right, sometimes developers release several products but with slightly different fillings, for a particular region. And in reviews I use the best configuration.

Back