Looking at A139 and A139 Pro - Questions Please

jsmith

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hello,

1. Could someone with experience please help me on a question. I Found that Viofo Website states that the Cameras from the A139 can be used with the A139 Pro. Viofo also says the hardwire kit from the A139 is compatible with the A139 Pro.

Question: Is this Accurate? And have people tested without problems?

https://viofo.com/content/75-A139-Pro-Support/

Does it use the interior and rear cameras from A139 in A139 PRO? and vice verse?

Yes, A139 PRO and A139 use the same interior and rear cameras, as well as the car charger cable, hardwire kit and CPL, you can use all accessories of A139 in the A139 PRO.

2. I see the A139 runs Quad HD (2560 x 1440P 30fps).

Question: Can the A139 Pro be also be set to Quad HD (2560 x 1440P 30fps) as an option when running a Front and Interior Camera?

3. Clip Length

I read that an updated firmware for the A139 changed clip length to I think 45 seconds instead of 3 minute, 5 minute, etc.

Question: Does the A139 Pro support 3 minute, 5 minute, etc clip lengths or does it also use the 45 second recordings that the A139 updated firmware added?

4. Frame Rate
. A139 States: Front: Quad HD (2560 x 1440P 30fps) ; Interior: Full HD (1920 x 1080P 30fps); Rear: Full HD (1920 x 1080P 30fps);
2. A139 Pro States: 4K 3840*2160P 24fps + 1080P 24fps + 1080P 24fps

Question: If you set the A139 Pro to Quad HD (2560 x 1440P 30fps), will the interior and rear do 30FPS or still 24 FPS?

Thank you for any help and for your expertise in answering these questions.

Last edited:
Do you have any problem finding information on the manufacturer's website :) Why don't you read the manufacturer's documentation ?
1- if the manufacturer says it's true
2 - yes - see user manual and picture
3 - where did you read that ?, a lady said :)
4 - see picture
1706547638756.png

Do you have any problem finding information on the manufacturer's website :) Why don't you read the manufacturer's documentation ?
1- if the manufacturer says it's true
2 - yes - see user manual and picture
3 - where did you read that ?, a lady said :)
4 - see picture
View attachment 70508

Hello,

Thank You

#1 - Just wanted verification of course, but manufacturer does state it works.

#2 - Thank You

#3 - Looking to see where I read this at will report back. Thanks.

#4 - Thank You

:) Verification of the manufacturer's claims ? That's strong coffee :)

One more note -- the short recording time (file lenght) is an option in the parking mode setting that responds to the G-sensor and movement in the camera field of view

:) Verification of the manufacturer's claims ? That's strong coffee :)

One more note -- the short recording time (file lenght) is an option in the parking mode setting that responds to the G-sensor and movement in the camera field of view

Sorry, I meant like field experience. Like people have used old cameras from A139 with the new A139 Pro and shown that it works fine without issue.

User testing in larger scale, outside a lab, is how bugs are found in software world. It's why manufacturers release updates and patches based on user feedback. Does this make sense?

Máte pravdu – takový je život moderních technologií a softwaru – zkušenost někoho jiného nemusí vždy zabránit vašemu problému

Máte pravdu – takový je život moderních technologií a softwaru – zkušenost někoho jiného nemusí vždy zabránit vašemu problému

Agreed. Or the experience of 1000s of testers might demonstrate a flaw that wasn't noticed in small scale testing or a lab setting.

Sorry, I meant like field experience. Like people have used old cameras from A139 with the new A139 Pro and shown that it works fine without issue.
I have, and still do; the rear camera and cable are exactly the same for both, there are no differences.

Question: Can the A139 Pro be also be set to Quad HD (2560 x 1440P 30fps) as an option when running a Front and Interior Camera?
There is no good reason to do that, the 4K image will be better even if you use the same bitrate (file size).
I normally use the 4K 1600 resolution, so it is 30fps even with 3 channels.

I have, and still do; the rear camera and cable are exactly the same for both, there are no differences.

There is no good reason to do that, the 4K image will be better even if you use the same bitrate (file size).
I normally use the 4K 1600 resolution, so it is 30fps even with 3 channels.

1. Thank you

2. Makes sense. I want to keep 30 FPS on interior and rear cameras, because lowering FPS means less images to capture a problem clearly (license plates) if say a hit and run, fast moving event, etc.

If it is not necessary to use a third camera (taxi, Uber, city traffic only ), it is preferable to use only 2 cameras. This will improve the bitrate of the main camera to almost 1.6 times and allow a 4k 2160 pix resolution. It's probably a good idea to try it out and weigh the pros and cons

I want to keep 30 FPS on interior and rear cameras, because lowering FPS means less images to capture a problem clearly (license plates) if say a hit and run, fast moving event, etc.
Realistically, 24fps is sufficient unless you are on a race track, but having them all at the same frame rate makes for a much smoother video if you edit them together into a single video. Using the 1600 resolution also means that you get better image quality for a given bitrate, and in 3 channel mode the A139 Pro is a little low on bitrate for full 4K; as JardaB says, if you want to film some top quality video, it is worth unplugging the 3rd channel while you do it, but it is good enough for accident footage anyway.

Realistically, 24fps is sufficient unless you are on a race track, but having them all at the same frame rate makes for a much smoother video if you edit them together into a single video. Using the 1600 resolution also means that you get better image quality for a given bitrate, and in 3 channel mode the A139 Pro is a little low on bitrate for full 4K; as JardaB says, if you want to film some top quality video, it is worth unplugging the 3rd channel while you do it, but it is good enough for accident footage anyway.

I want all 3 channels filming, so I intend to utilize the interior camera. My vehicle does not have a fixed side window so the interior cam serves a dual purpose of seeing the cabin and partially out the sides.

I tested and so have the A139, but i do not have the A139 PRO so i am not able to test if this is a option to reuse the old interior and rear camera.

Two Questions (hope I am not being bothersome).

1. Can I reuse the A139 GPS Module / Mount with the A139 Pro? I really do not want to scrape off old GPS module / mount from windshield unless it's necessary.

2. A139 had a feature I liked but disabled on A139 Pro. How do I request Viofo add it back?

I like the feature that when A139 camera entered parking mode, you could not shut off camera with power button. A139 Pro can be shut off in parking mode and all buttons still function.

@Nigel for now I will try 1600P 4K / Interior and Rear 30 FPS.

1. Can I reuse the A139 GPS Module / Mount with the A139 Pro? I really do not want to scrape off old GPS module / mount from windshield unless it's necessary.
Yes, as far as I can remember it works fine, certainly won't blow anything up if you try!

2. A139 had a feature I liked but disabled on A139 Pro. How do I request Viofo add it back?

I like the feature that when A139 camera entered parking mode, you could not shut off camera with power button. A139 Pro can be shut off in parking mode and all buttons still function.
It is easy to ask Viofo, you can send a message to their support on their website, or possibly send them a message on this website.
I suspect you wont get it though, a lot of people didn't like it, and I suspect they don't want to make it configurable.
I don't know what the current situation with that is though, it is not something I take much notice of.
@Nigel for now I will try 1600P 4K / Interior and Rear 30 FPS.
That is the best option for 3 channel use in my opinion.

Yes, as far as I can remember it works fine, certainly won't blow anything up if you try!

It is easy to ask Viofo, you can send a message to their support on their website, or possibly send them a message on this website.
I suspect you wont get it though, a lot of people didn't like it, and I suspect they don't want to make it configurable.
I don't know what the current situation with that is though, it is not something I take much notice of.

That is the best option for 3 channel use in my opinion.

Too bad. I think that feature was useful if someone were to get into the vehicle, they couldn't turn off the camera unless they had a key.

So far the A139 Pro is working OK on the same Front Camera + Interior Camera + GPS Module + Wiring, but I have only tested less than a day.

It's strange because the A139 front camera malfunctions in the car, but not bench testing it. However, I also do not have spare 3rd camera so bench testing with only from main camera (a139) and an interior camera (2 Channel). Could be a bad board when 3 channel is running. Who knows.

What's money anyway (LOL), I get the better A139 Pro with 4k 1600 now :)

It's strange because the A139 front camera malfunctions in the car, but not bench testing it.
What is the malfunction?

What is the malfunction?

I sent you message with description. I am at 100% a loss as to what's wrong. I'd love to find an answer. Maybe it's a hardware failure of the WIFI or Board? It's just so strange and I don't know what else to test.

The REC button turns off parking mode recording and leaves the camera on ??
EDIT: A139 Pro

I have parking mode activated and if I come home to the garage, I use the (Power on/off) button to turn the camera off.

Last edited:
The REC button turns off parking mode recording and leaves the camera on ??

I have parking mode activated and if I come home to the garage, I use the (Power on/off) button to turn the camera off.

On the A139 in firmware 1.5, if the camera entered parking mode, the power button was disabled. If you also had a lock on the camera, then the camera was "secured" when the car was off. You could not pull power cable or use power button to shut off camera. Power button only worked once car was restarted.

Back