Vantrue N5: 4 channel dashcam with industry-leading advanced features.

Jeff_Vantrue

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
United States
N5 VS N4
N5官网-对比参数.jpg

How About Resolution

The N5 boasts a range of impressive features that make it the perfect device for capturing clear footage in even the most challenging environments. Equipped with a second-generation SONY STARVIS starlight night vision SONY IMX675 sensor, this device delivers exceptional low-light performance, ensuring that users have a clear view of the road even in the darkest conditions.

With a maximum resolution of 2.5K (1944P) for the front camera and 1080P for each of the other three cameras, the N5 captures ultra-high-definition footage from all angles. The four 160-degree wide-angle lenses provide a 360-degree view of the interior and exterior of the car, leaving no blind spots.

In addition to its high-resolution cameras, the N5 features WDR (wide dynamic range) technology for the front and interior cameras, which ensures that all details are captured even in challenging lighting conditions. Meanwhile, the rear and interior cameras support HDR (high dynamic range) video processing, ensuring that footage is clear and detailed even in high-contrast environments.

Following is the real test footage caught by Vantrue N5

Last edited:
When I first read 4 channel I expected side channels or a telephoto lens but not this.
Interesting choice of use.
The rear cabin camera seems to struggle with the exposure however.

I don't see an real issue. The exposure is bad only for outside front view, but we don't need image from there since there is already a cam for this purpose.
The interior image is good. Also this is a matter of HDR. We don't know if it's ON in that sample, but it's advertise to exist as an option for rear/interior cam.

L.e.: i've noticed that it use a Starvis 2 sensor? Nice!
Combined with a very reliable reputation and unpretentious sd cards manufacturers, could be a top choice for a full surveilance dashcam.
The mounting looks like also a step forward.

Last edited:
When I first read 4 channel I expected side channels or a telephoto lens but not this.
Interesting choice of use.

N5 has updated the latest test software, this is the effect of the Cabin Rear

Looking promising now.
It will be interesting how well the Starvis 2 from the front camera performs, especially at night.

Hello,

is there somewhere technical specifications for the dashcam system N5?
I would be interested to know, how much power consumption the complete system allows itself?

Or, what is the operating time of the Vantrue N5 system on a Power Core 6200LFP Plus (with Power Core 13400LFP)?
I suspect there won't be any findings on this yet.

Thanks for any feedback.

Or, what is the operating time of the Vantrue N5 system on a Power Core 6200LFP Plus (with Power Core 13400LFP)?
I suspect there won't be any findings on this yet.
Wait for the tests to pass and someone to publish the result.

Well few people test something like that, TBH power draw have never interested me as i have no need for long duration parking guard.
BUT ! getting the power draw should not be hard to do, actually i think the brands should list such things them self ( in the technical specs ), as it would help a buyer making a informed decision on what to buy.

Personally i find parking guard also on the interior cameras are a bit of a waste, well at least when the perp can just take your camera / memory card
Also to some degree from the power draw perspective, though i can also see it would be good to get a close up mug shot of a unwanted person in your car.

this is very interesting, would love to try it in practice

Thank you for any feedback.

It is a pity that there are no technical specifications for this, especially regarding the current consumption from the manufacturer. Also i don't understand, if a parking monitor mode is available, why the dashcam manufacturers don't think about a more sensible power supply and cooperate with a battery manufacturer, which work with LifePo4 or lithium titanate. Not everyone wants a drained starter battery either. The main thing is to sell a relabeled SD card ;)

And I prefer a rechargeable battery system, because I charge while I drive and when I come back from shopping, then I have the parking bumper with license plate on the dashcam because the parking surveillance has recorded. Not as already experienced: No one has seen anything.

Parking monitoring may not make sense for everyone, but there are situations that show parking monitoring in a completely different light. Ever had envious in the company and unscrewed wheels or jokers who just wanted to allow themselves a joke, oops windshield wiper bent. And no one was it in the end.

I have seen there is a remote controller for the Vantrue N5. A wireless remote controller?
1683224004143.png
Neither a link to this exists, nor a locatable remote control on the manufacturer's website.
Maybe I need to do a better search.

best regards to all happy Dashcam-Users.

Hallo muehlstein. Herzlich willkommen an der forum.

It is true that only a few dashcam brands also have dashcam power packs, it is a bit of a surprise as by now parking guard are not a rare option.
But i figure if the brands could just write the power use while in parking mode, users could add that up to get the expected range on the XXXX mah power pack they have.

The remote event button, that is probably BT just like it is for other models and with other brands. The one supplied with the E2 model i am testing is a 2 function button.

I like parking guard for when i am shopping, and that is most often done in less than 1 hour, at home i have a CCTV camera on my 2 floor balcony door aimed at my parked car, this is best as the back yeard at night are very dark so a dashcam would not see much, even if there are a little PIR led light that come on if there are movement in the back yard.

Hello Kamkar and thank you for the welcome in the forum.

Perhaps some manufacturers do not dare to disclose the information because they are embarrassed. Depending on how energy efficient the circuit board and components are designed to be, a current draw in parking mode can be similar to that of normal operation. But no matter how the manufacturers try to hide it, sooner or later it does come out.

You have a remote control, but there is nothing in the accessories on all 5 pages. https://www.vantrue.net/Goods/goodList/cid/5/p/1.html#products

We have two vehicles and this would be my first dashcam now. I find parking monitoring especially useful when shopping. Only I find the option from the N5 exciting because everything around the vehicle is captured. At home we are in a massive garage. If someone comes on our property, there goes our motion-detected fixed lighting on :)

Well i think as the different dashcams are often made with the same stuff inside, there can not be that much difference due to that, but as the N5 have 1 more camera than a 3 channel system it will of course use more power.
They do say this is a new high end SOC they use, but that must be new to Vantrue as others have used the same SOC for a while, i can not remember what technology then Novatek SOCs are made on but i doubt it is bigger than 14 nanometer, and the latest CPUs for computers are 5 nanometers.

Yes it do seem like vantrue have forgotten to list the remote, but at least looking on the E2 model it is pictured several times.

It is true you can see some of the outside via the interior cameras, but personally i do not count that at all as it is so very little, but if you have midgets looking into your car it might well capture them.
I use to run ( the system died and have not yet been replaced ) a dual remote system as my side cameras,mounted on little fixed glass on rear doors, even if this also do not give super coverage right up against the car, then a few paces from the car it will identify anyone approaching the car.

But i did not use parking guard on that system, i feel for that the front & rear camera will be fine.

Power draw in parking guard, well i dont think it is super much lower than regular recordings, but if you record time lapse or like i prefer low bitrate, then it must be at least a little lower.
If the camera are in sleep mode, and then wake up on G-sensor and start recording, then i think sleep mode do use power, and that is why some brands have put on radar to but cameras to even deeper sleep mode, and when they have woken up and record a event for XX seconds, well if it is regular footage it record then it must be power use just like regular recording but just for a few seconds.

There have been all sorts tried, and not just to generate as little heat when parked, CUZ that is a issue too as electronics have a temperature limit

The brands that have radars in the cameras, they say that it dramatically extend the time your car can do parking guard, it is several days more they talk about in their sales material.
I can not recall if anyone actually tested this.

Last edited:
Wow and thank you for the food for thought and your brilliant idea.

A second camera system for the side windows is a brilliant idea. If equipped with GPS, the video recording to the main system (front and rear camera) will also find itself faster if something happens.

In fact, a manufacturer that offers such a system complete with front, rear and side window monitoring would be ingenious.

Would also be interesting from the interconnection of two independent camera systems to the battery technology of Power Core. You have now given me a task that I must research in more detail.
Since I will soon get a Corolla Cross, the side cameras, if flexibly adjustable, at the fixed rear windows would be a great idea.

Thanks for the tip, Mikel

Looking forward to seeing the N5 compared with other cameras.
It will be interesting to see how good the low light performance of the 2.5k Starvis 2 is compared to the 4k Starvis 2, especially at night.

The 1080p variant are actually the one with the biggest pixels, but the difference between starvis 2 sensors are probably marginal.
I do wonder how it perform with the still wildly used IMX 335 with the same resolution.

The 1080p variant are actually the one with the biggest pixels, but the difference between starvis 2 sensors are probably marginal.
I do wonder how it perform with the still wildly used IMX 335 with the same resolution.
I guess we will see.
Many people here have cameras that use the IMX335. Maybe some people can get their hands on one and compare it

Back