Vantrue S1 Pro Running Review

GeekOnTheHill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
4Sight TODC2, Street Guardian SG9663dc, Vantrue S1 Pro
Jeff sent me an S1 Pro to install and review. This first post will be of some general impressions and a few quick videos.

I'll be updating this thread as I have time to take more video in different situations. I live in a rural part of New York (yes, most of New York is actually rural), and videos of the same stretches of empty country roads in the daytime would be boring and useless. I'll make it a point to pull videos when I'm in places slightly more interesting.

First Impressions and Installation Notes:
  • Build quality seems very good.
  • Size of the front unit is a bit bulky. It may pay to do some measuring before buying on smaller vehicles.
  • The "electrostatic sticker" didn't stay put on the windshield. It kept falling off. I bypassed it for the time being, with no apparent problems.
  • All connectors are USB-C. Be careful not to plug the power where it doesn't belong.
  • Take note of the Micro SD slot location for ease in removing / changing the card without removing the camera from the windshield.
  • Instructions are sparse, but understandable and adequate.
  • The device automatically goes into setup on first boot.
  • The dash cam doesn't include the hard wire kit (very few do). I've ordered one on my own dime because I've decided to keep the dash cam. I do hope Jeff wasn't expecting it back. :whistle:
1.jpg

1a.jpg

2.jpg

Firmware Setup and App:
  • Firmware setup using the screen is annoying and time-consuming, as is typical for small-screen devices.
  • I suggest doing the minimum possible setup on the screen (basically, what it asks for on first boot) and do the rest using the app.
  • The app is sensibly laid out with all settings on one panel, and preview on another.
  • The app also does firmware updates if the device has Internet. Because the WiFi will be used to connect to the dash cam, however, it seems to me that the device must have a cellular data connection to do the firmware update using the app. I could, however, be wrong.
  • Annoyingly, the device loses all the settings when the firmware is updated. This has been true for every dash cam I've ever owned, so it's not a Vantrue thing. It would be nice if someone would figure out how to back up the configuration and reapply it after the update.
Video Quality:

In daylight the video quality seems pretty good to me, but I'm going to post links to some videos rather than rambling on about something that's better seen than explained. I will say that I think the CPL filter would be a good investment if you want the videos for purposes other than accident documentation. The glare can be pretty harsh.

Here are some videos.

Richard

Last edited:
I received the hardwire kit yesterday and installed it today. Then I went to pick up a few things from Dollar General and tested out the parking mode while I was there. It works as expected.

This is in time lapse mode (which has several sub-options for framerate). There also is an impact option and a movement option, and I think a time-delay option.

You may need to wait for a while for the HD version of the video to be processed.

Richard

Some unedited night footage. You may need to wait a bit for YouTube to finish the HD processing.

Front:

Rear:

Richard

Two things (so far) that I would have done differently:

1. I would separate the main unit from the GPS antenna. The way the GPS antenna serves as the base for the main unit makes the combined unit too bulky, which in turn caused the electrostatic sticker to detach from the windshield when making strong lateral maneuvers (tight turns, for example).

I still have the spare sticker and can think of a few possible ways to use it that would keep it stuck. One example would be trimming it and 3D-printing a frame to surround the GPS antenna and secure it to the windshield with a stickier adhesive. That would retain the protection against static electricity afforded by the sticker without moving the unit further from the windshield.

It would have been simpler, however, to keep the GPS antenna separate. By itself it would lack the mass to be torn off the windshield in a turn.

2. The rear camera attaches directly to the glass and cannot be removed to clean the lens or the glass. The lens can be rotated to clean the lens, but you can't easily clean the window glass once the camera is attached. That could have been addressed using a slide bracket or heavy-duty, dual-lock Velcro.

Richard

I think their electrostatic stickers have issues or maybe the adhesive isn't meant to go on that sticker? I had the same issues of the dash cam falling off the electrostatic sticker when installing the Vantrue N4 Pro. Never had issues with Viofo and their electrostatic sticker and adhesive.

Never used electrostatic stickers and none of the models fell off the glass.
Regardless of the air temperature. :cool:

I think their electrostatic stickers have issues or maybe the adhesive isn't meant to go on that sticker? I had the same issues of the dash cam falling off the electrostatic sticker when installing the Vantrue N4 Pro. Never had issues with Viofo and their electrostatic sticker and adhesive.
The dash cam stayed stuck to the sticker, but the sticker wouldn't stay stuck to the windshield. Any lateral force would knock it off.

I never used the stickers before (nor even knew they existed), so I really have no basis for comparison. The last dash cam I installed was seven years ago. I'm assuming that they have some purpose protecting the antenna from static because I can't think of any other purpose they might serve.

I tested out the voice control today.

Those aren't all the possible commands, but I think they're enough to get the point across: You talk, it listens.

Note that there was no voice training done, so presumably it will obey any human-sounding voice. I imagine that could cause problems with the car radio on or ordinary conversations in the cabin. The entire feature can be turned off in settings if this becomes a problem (or if you just don't want it).

Richard

I have to set voice control to high sensitivity, that's how it have been in all the vantrue cameras i have been using, i guess a stark reminder to not have too inflated opinions about my English skills. :)

I have to set voice control to high sensitivity, that's how it have been in all the vantrue cameras i have been using, i guess a stark reminder to not have too inflated opinions about my English skills. :)
It's not a feature I've ever used.

I probably should turn off the mic when I'm talking on the phone, but I rarely talk on the phone while driving. I suppose it also would come in handy if I needed a snapshot; but I have a small car, and where the camera is mounted I can easily reach up and push the button.

I'll leave it enabled because it's not bothering anyone and I may need it some day. But I really tested it mainly for the benefit of people thinking about buying the dash cam. It's not a feature I especially need, but it may be the deal-maker for someone else.

Richard

Here's some night footage during a thunderstorm, for those for whom night visibility in thunderstorms is a deal-maker. Note that the HD version has not yet processed as I am making this post.

Richard

Here's some night footage during a thunderstorm, for those for whom night visibility in thunderstorms is a deal-maker. Note that the HD version has not yet processed as I am making this post.

Richard
Damn that is some country dark road.

Here's some urban-ish footage from Kingston, New York. That's about as urban as it gets for me these days, anyway. As I'm making this post, the HD video is still processing.

I continue to be impressed by the dash cam's video quality and overall reliability. It's built like a tank and takes up a lot of space, but it's also very reliable and hasn't malfunctioned in any way since I installed the first firmware update. (Before that, it randomly took pictures for no discernible reason.)

Richard

Which hardwire kit did you buy? The one I bought (https://www.amazon.com/gp/B083XB8T7T) doesn't seem to work with the S1 Pro.
I believe the 3-wire hardwire kit you purchased should work with the S1 Pro. If it works with the N5 and N4 Pro, it should work with the S1 Pro. (USB Type-C). Here's the list of dash cameras the 3-wire hardwire kit you purchased is listed as supporting on the vantrue.com website:
1695415635753.png

I believe when the S1 Pro is listed on their website for purchase, the accessory listings will have to be updated to include the S1 Pro.

Vantrue sent me the LED 3-wire hardwire kit and it's vantrue.com listing page doesn't show the S1 Pro yet either. The S1 Pro must fit into the "All Type C Dash Cams" category. LOL

Real-Time Voltage Display Hardwire Kit with Electronic Screen for All Type C Dash Cams, N5, N4 Pro, N4, E1, E2, E3, S2, N2S, X4S...​

Back