Vantrue S1 Pro Structural Design

HEHE i did not contemplate that.
Though i must admit after many a premature memory card ejection in my car, i am more careful when i insert things into slits in the car.

It is also a invane effort if it was done for stealth reasons as any thief would just grab the whole camera as that would be faster.

Wonder if they will make a cpl for this. I couldn't find one for the s1 they have.

The S1 Pro User Manual indicates it accepts the 40mm Vantrue CPL Filter.
If this is correct @rcg530 discovered it may produce halos of light during night time use.
The only fix is to remove the CPL Filter for night driving.
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/halo-on-night-videos.48359/post-588392

View attachment 66965
View attachment 66966
Thanks for the quick reply and good info as always. I saw that filter and wasn't sure it would fit or not since title mentions nothing of the s1. I see what you mean about the halo. I guess its the camera being wide angle and the reflection from the plastic part of the lens hitting off the cpl glass. Only way to fix that is glass needs to be moved closer to lens itself cutting out the space.

Some information from the internet. :cool:

Attachments

• External-photos-6757254.pdf
    490 KB · Views: 13
  • Internal-photos-6757270.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • User-manual-rev01-6757277.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
@Jeff_Vantrue

Is the rear camera cable a standard USB-C cable that one can buy at retail?

@Jeff_Vantrue

Is the rear camera cable a standard USB-C cable that one can buy at retail?
You wouldn't think so due to the length of it and it appears to be a thicker gauge to protect it. I could be wrong though but yeah I've found it hard to get USB C cables that are longer than 2m.

...I've found it hard to get USB C cables that are longer than 2m.
Same here, although I've found a couple at 15 feet that claim to support 4K, 60FPS video. :unsure:

I'm hoping that Vantrue uses an industry standard versus proprietary protocol. If so I'd be willing to spend a few dollars to facilitate testing across multiple vehicles.

Update:

I reached out to Vantrue support with the question and just got a response - not the one I had hoped for.

I'm currently evaluating the new S1-Pro dash cam and have a question. Is the cable connecting the rear camera to the main front unit a standard USB-C video cable?... or is it something proprietary to Vantrue? Thank You

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Vantrue Customer Support.

This cable is custom made. Not compatible with other cables on the market. Thank you.

Best regards,
Roxanne
Vantrue Customer Service Team

Update:

I reached out to Vantrue support with the question and just got a response - not the one I had hoped for.
That isn't good , you would think that since it's USB-C it would be. Then again maybe they are just saying that. I could understand it if it was a custom USB C for a certain charging speed (power only), but since it's data and power then it might still work with others.

Only way we're gonna find out is if we purchase one. 4k/60fps for a USB C cable is possible, probably just a USB 3.1 or 3.2 Gen X cable. Confusing what they did with classifying the USB 3 standards.

...you would think that since it's USB-C it would be...
You would but the USB-C standard is just for the physical connector and not the various protocols involved with power and data transfer.

It get gets confusing (at best) when you start factoringall factoring in all those vriables variables.

Edit: Gotta start proofreading before hitting enter. :facepalm:

Last edited:
You would but the USB-C standard is just for the physical connector and not the various protocols involved with power and data transfer.

It get confusing (at best) when you start factoringall those vriables.

That's it, power and data. To be honest it seems that it SHOULD be ok, I'd give it a go and grab a cable to test. Don't think they would lock down USB cables so only there's could be used, but I could be wrong..

@DT MI @Agie
I've been watching you guys go back and forth about if the rear camera cable is proprietary, or universal.
I know the answer, but I can't say why because I'm under a current gag order.
But I'm 99.9% sure its universal.

@DT MI @Agie
I've been watching you guys go back and forth about if the rear camera cable is proprietary, or universal.
Ah the good old embargo ;)

@DT MI @Agie
I should know in the next couple of days. Just ordered this as I have a need for a USB-c to USB-c cable anyhow for something else so spent a couple dollars more to get a 4K video certified one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BNW5CS1B

I should know in the next couple of days. Just ordered this as I have a need for a USB-c to USB-c cable anyhow for something else so spent a couple dollars more to get a 4K video certified one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B0BNW5CS1B
Nice I usually get mine from AliExpress but they're much the same brands etc

Update:

I doubt Vantrue is the only company that does this when you consider the following.

USB-C is a connector standard and USB-3 is a signal standard.

Having a USB-C connector unfortunately doesn't mean it's using USB-3 signals which has been a pain since the day they created this "standard"

You could make their proprietary cable by pinning out each pin and stripping the original cable to see what and how they use twisted pair and shielding etc.

Also it could have circuitry in the moulded plugs something that is in some USB-C charging cables.

A pain i know.

Back