Viofo A129 Plus Duo does not power on/start in my car.

smithdean

Reaction score
Country
United States
@VIOFO-Support I have both cams hardwired installed at Bestbuy AutoTech center 3 weeks ago and had no issue with not powering on when I start my car. I have parking mode off so it only starts when I turn my car engine on.

But this morning when I went to my car and started my engine, the camera did NOT start/power on . I no longer see the "rec" on with tiny red light. I restrated my car engine and it still didn't start. I unplugged the cable and plugged in back and started my car again, the camera started to record but died 2 mins later. It no longer turns on in my car when I turn my car engine on. Today the weather temp here is about 15F and it is extremely cold. Is this the cause? Don't think so. I had Anker battery dashcam in my previous car and I never had problem with the camera not powering on in zero temp here in Chicago.

I removed the Viofo A129 PLUS front camera from my car. Took it home to power on with a battery charger at and it turns on and records fine and stays recording.
What could the problem be with the camera no longer recording in my car?

Thanks

Last edited:
Try this:
Use original charger inserted into the car cigarette lighter socket.
Connect the power cable to the camera not to the mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Try this:
Use original charger inserted into the car cigarette lighter socket.
Connect the power cable to the camera not to the mount.

enjoy,
Mtz
Makes any sense? There is reason for hardwire installation and the amount I paid to hardwire the cable was so that they look clean and not have to use the car cigareate lighter socket.

No sense.
Just wait for help from a forum and ask more questions. This will help you a lot.

enjoy,
Mtz

Cig charger Power supply is suggested as a test so you can work out if the problem is the hardwire kit, or the camera, it's not being suggested as a fix
Oh !
No sense.
Just wait for help from a forum and ask more questions. This will help you a lot.

enjoy,
Mtz
Apologies! I didn’t understand you first but understand now and I will test it . Thanks

Last edited:
If it is the same testing with the ciggylighter power source, try and disconnect the rear camera to see if the front unit on its own will power up.
A flaky connection to remote cameras have tripped up systems before.

I tested this with original cable that goes to cigarette lighter socket and the dashcam powers on fine . Powers on fine when I try with external battery power bank as well. I tested the live view via the app but I can’t see rear cam footage when I switch the camera. I plugged in back with the hardwired cable on car, turn my engine on and the camera powered on for 2 secs but it turned off with the “Rec” tiny red light went off.

Attachments

• 6B0C7CA8-D258-4362-A583-29BE9C17134B.jpeg
    6B0C7CA8-D258-4362-A583-29BE9C17134B.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 9361FA69-F834-4B74-BF0B-A865B4631549.jpeg
    9361FA69-F834-4B74-BF0B-A865B4631549.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 15
  • A1A6C638-4270-41EE-992A-E7AFB87143B2.jpeg
    A1A6C638-4270-41EE-992A-E7AFB87143B2.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Mtz
Get your installer to check it out, the hardwire kits don't often fail so could be something as simple as a poor ground

Get your installer to check it out, the hardwire kits don't often fail so could be something as simple as a poor ground
They installed it about 3 weeks ago and was working fine with the camera powering on when car is on and powering off when i turned off the car but this problem happened today. So it is not the issue with camera and definitely not the front camera as I tested it . Today it was extremely cold here with outside temp in car about 1F. I don’t know how low this is in Celsius. Could the cold weather be the cause of this? Have to go back if they open tomorrow .

Last edited:
Get the installation checked, symptoms sound like poor ground, or problem with the B+ power, the ACC is working as it triggers the boot process
Could it be that they didn’t use a suitable or compatible fuse when hardwiring the camera? I only had the camera and hardwire kit and no fuses with me. They charged me the exact installation cost and not for any parts or accessories which will be extra if I needed one . If they used fuses they would have charged me for that but they didn’t.

Not really possible (or fair to the installer) to guess what they have or haven't done, needs someone to check it with a multimeter and see what's happening to be able to diagnose it correctly

No i doubt a fuse would have anything to say here, unless it is blown.
Have you tried to see if just the front unit alone work with the HW kit ?

If you cant see any footage from rear camera maybe check the plug at the rear camera too, these can wiggle loose in not installed properly / ideal.

Could also be a simple thing like they forgot to tighten the GND connection, and then thats wiggles loose and so the HW kit would appear totally dead.

The SG hard wire kit i have, it have some LED lights inside it you can see, so with that if they are out, there are surely something wrong with the HW kit or its connections to power at least.
But i dont know how it is with the viofo HW kit in that regard, or if it is possible for you to even see that box on the wire.

Reactions: Mtz
No i doubt a fuse would have anything to say here, unless it is blown.
Have you tried to see if just the front unit alone work with the HW kit ?

If you cant see any footage from rear camera maybe check the plug at the rear camera too, these can wiggle loose in not installed properly / ideal.
As I mentioned above and in the screenshots I posted , the front doesn’t power on or sometimes powers on but turns off right away after I turn my car engine on . But if I use an external battery pack or use the original car charger with the cigarette lighter socket the front camera powers on and stays on recording. That means it has nothing to do with the camera? I tested with original car charger in cigarette lighter socket and used the viofo app and I can see the live view but not the rear camera when I press on the switch camera .

What's the make and model of the vehicle, which circuits did they tap, and where is it grounded?
Car info is 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe, trim is SEL. I know nothing about the later two questions. Thanks

Car info is 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe, trim is SEL. I know nothing about the later two questions. Thanks
ok, would need details of how it's setup to be able to offer any further ideas, anyway at this point it's probably best to get the installer to have a look at it

Does seem to be an issue with the install. When you have them check things, make sure to find out which fuses or circuits were used, and how the taps were done. If neither you or them supplied an "add-a-fuse" they likely tapped a wire(s) with a "Scotch Lock" tap and it was the wrong size, installed wrong, or has worked itself loose.

Phil

Back