Hands on the Livue LB100. $100 korean 720p dashcam

Just install the WinyBBViewer on PC and setup your file. For Android use the WinyCam application which is in english. Don't install the Android Livue application or the Livue PC software because they will not setup correctly your cfg file and camera.

The FW01_130306.bin from Livue site is with korean voice. The changelog is something like this:
1. Fixed "Ding Dong" repetitive sound when Motion/Event occurs
2. Solved some reboot symptoms during driving
3. Some fix for 0KB files when using Android devices

So if you have the above problems maybe you want to use the korean firmware (and renaming it before uploading to SD Card)

When using Livue firmware the .dir file have this name: FW01.dir and on the right screen of the recording the name is FW01
When using WinyCam firmware the .dir file have this name: V300HD.dir and on the right screen of the recording the name is V300HD
So depending on these names you know what firmware you have installed.

In attachment you can compare (using a HEX editor) the files and you will see them are different. This is the reason you can use another software for setup.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• setup.cfg_Comparison.zip
    480 bytes · Views: 24
Thanks again Mtz for all your input. I managed to get my camera all installed and hidden. I ran the wire through my dome light cover, through the headliner, down the a pillar cover, inside the dash, and spliced into the 12v for the cigarette lighter. originally I had wired it to the fuse block, but the issue with that was that the camera would remain on. I know the camera has a battery shutoff feature, but id rather not constantly have my battery drained. My cigarette lighter is only on when aux power is on, so essentially when the key is in and turned. Perfect for me.

As far as recording, I drove around town a bit today, and have a few recordings, but I noticed the quality was slightly off. I checked the setup file and noticed that i had it set only to "high quality" instead of super high quality. Do you have any idea how different that quality between the two modes are? I changed it, but I havent been back out since.

Another question; is the setup file stored inside the camera? For example, if I had set the time, and I take the SD card out, is the time saved internally?

Anyways, cant way to play with this camera over the next few days. Im pretty happy thus far.

The power save feature can be turned Off or On for the english firmware and for the korean firmware you can set also the hours for the camera to remain on in the parking mode.

If you are setting your camera with the PC Viewer and the settings are not saved this means your viewer is for the other firmware. If you are using only the firmware and viewer from the SD Card you should have no problems with the camera setup.

You can't have installed on the same PC also the WinyCam and the Livue software. If you want to use the camera with the Livue firmware you can use as PC software the Livue Viewer (which is in korean) or the New Viewer (which is in english). The advantage of the New Viewer is that you can see all files in the same list, not only based on N E P mode, and you can setup the hours for the power safe feature. But for this New Viewer for the moment you must use the latest Livue LB100 firmware called FW01_130306.bin now.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• New Viewer.jpg
    New Viewer.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 730
anyone try using one of those external battery packs? I see some for around 60 dollars 10000mah, and it has 12v outlets as well.

Somebody wrote in a post that a battery pack needs 2.5 hours to be charged. How many hours are you driving daily to keep it charged?
If you are driving daily you don't need any battery protections.
And one of the greatest features of the Livue is exactly the battery protection. They included in firmware this protection which can be also based on hours in korean firmware compared to all other companies which don't include a power feature just to sell their power packs. Is a good strategy, thinking only how to make money, not to offer great specs to their buyers.
The biggest reason I bought the Livue was so many great settings and one of them was the Power safe feature. As you can see in my previous picture, if the power safe is so important for me I installed the korean firmware and set the camera power off delay to 36 hours even I usually drive daily.

If your car battery will go down to 11.8V for more than 30 seconds no matter what value of time are you using the Livue will shut down. If the battery went to 11.8 because of Livue, its turning off will keep your battery still good to start the car. And is doing exactly the same thing as a power pack does.

But if you believe in that product and its benefits, just buy it. Maybe someday you will have another dashcam.

enjoy,
Mtz

Attachments

• Livue Power Safe.jpg
    Livue Power Safe.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 693
still waiting for it to arrive, but I am now thinking of hardwiring the piece to one of the fuses, where can i get a extra cigarette adapter cable I can get for this cam?
And so far everyone is still liking this? any problems arrise after a few weeks of use?

Wait for the camera. Go to some electric store with the camera and original cable and buy the same power connector. Maybe you are lucky and you will find also with the cable and if the cable is not long, you will make it llonger. To all cameras I had I used the same solution. And for my radar detector for example.

enjoy,
Mtz

Will this cam automatically switch into parking mode with motion detect or is it always left in motion detection mode?

In WinyBBViewer is a setting called:
Parking Recording Mode Change and have two options:
- Yes (after 8 minutes of no movement the G-Sensor will enable parking mode)
- No (will always record normally)

In the first post is the contend of SD Card which includes a good manual. You can find there all the things about this camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

Do you find the 8 minutes suitable, not enough, excessive etc?

Working on some new models and need to put together some ideas about functionality etc

I found it excessive. I think 3 or maybe 4 minutes is enough. The only moment I am afraid the camera will stop is waiting at some traffic light road cross.
If you are planning some features about a camera, you must include all from Livue (and more), maybe excepting some like the korean SD Card partition style. But the Livue power safe is a great feature, but maybe at 11.9V or 12V, not 11.8V for 30 secs. like it is now.
If you don't want to keep your ideas secret and have more users feedback you can open a thread, post your first list of settings and based on users feedback you can modify it.
And after some time you can make some categories like:
Sure
Possible
Not possible
Not...

Also I like the Livue manual.

enjoy,
Mtz

Yeah I thought to put a poll with list of possible features and have people vote what they like but no poll option on this forum

We have a few models we are working on and the features will likely differ across the models anyway, some because different target market, others because of different technical capability (depending on chipset, A2, A5 and A7)

I'm also thinking is it worth it to make a cam specifically to suit rear cam use, not feature packed, just good quality and discrete, maybe better than trying to do a dual cam that has limited appeal

I don't think a poll is good because if you have many features will be too big, readers will lost interest jus reading it. And you can't delete or add new items after opening it. A poll is good I think if it is unde 5 options. For a poll with a things you are unsure you can create separate thread.

Your idea about the smallest camera is good also for front, not only rear and you will sell it more as a front camera, not rear so don't market is as rear camera. Not smallest is the most important factor, but the visibility of it, so this is why a tube style or this style will make a camera small for buyers because is less visible. In that video the chipset is Novatek and I don't know if Ambarella is smaller than it so you can use your Ambarella experience in a small camera.

But this is offtopic, so maybe more in other thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Your idea about the smallest camera is good also for front, not only rear and you will sell it more as a front camera, not rear so don't market is as rear camera.

yes I realise it could have appeal as a front cam also and would likely market it for both applications anyway, note I said discrete rather than small, of course as small as practical would be nice but I'm thinking more about being discrete with the mounting method, the finish, cabling etc, just an idea at this stage

forgive me if I missed it, but is the Android app only for setting up the camera, or can one do other things with it?

Connected over wifi, or bluetooth?

Can one stream the camera view to the phone? And record physically on the phone itself?

dirkzelf said:
forgive me if I missed it, but is the Android app only for setting up the camera, or can one do other things with it?

Can one stream the camera view to the phone? And record physically on the phone itself?

From what I understand you can transfer recorded files onto your phone / tablet as well. I'm not sure about streaming. I'm sure someone else who has this cam will confirm.

Chad said:
dirkzelf said:

From what I understand you can transfer recorded files onto your phone / tablet as well. I'm not sure about streaming. I'm sure someone else who has this cam will confirm.

I'd love to hear more about that in some detail please.... Anyone? Mtz has one, no?

This camera does not have WiFi or Bluetooth. If you remove the Micro SD card from the camera and insert into your Android phone you can view the videos and configure the camera using the app.

DashCamMan said:
This camera does not have WiFi or Bluetooth. If you remove the Micro SD card from the camera and insert into your Android phone you can view the videos and configure the camera using the app.

Oh right, well the sellers page suggested some phone to cam connection...... but it wasn't all that clear, hence the Q.

jokiin said:
... note I said discrete rather than small, of course as small as practical would be nice but I'm thinking more about being discrete with the mounting method, the finish, cabling etc, just an idea at this stage
Until now, for me, the Itronics have the smallest and discrete (and cheap I think) mount system. If they could offer a quick release of the camera from the mount that would be best.
The best idea from Itronics mount is because it is very short so I can mount the camera in the top most position. All mounting systems with suction cups are large and long.
I don't know if is possible to invent some suction cup at the same size as the Itronics mount.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back