Hotspot device

aunkster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone use a hotspot device that remains in their vehicle that keeps the dashcam connected to the internet so that they may utilize the other options on their thinkware cloud app? If you do does it work well and is their one device that works better than the others ?

Yep. Here’s what I use.

Been using it for years now. The USB to OBD adapter sometimes can be hard to find and the WiFi can sometimes be flaky. It usually works (and it’s what my dashcams and extra phones are all connected to now), but eventually I plan on replacing it with a Blackvue DR970X Plus since they’re improving the hotspot capability with that dashcam.

For most people though using one dashcam to provide data for another dashcam is a little silly though so something like the OBD solution that’s more standalone would be a better fit.

Last edited:
Im verizon and he says verizon dont make a device that stays powered on when vehicle is off ..ill keep looking

Im verizon and he says verizon dont make a device that stays powered on when vehicle is off ..ill keep looking
You don't have to stick with Verizon.

I'm a TMobile customer and I use a TMobile hotspot on a completely different account because their prepaid WiFi hotspots are cheaper than adding a device to my existing plan, lol... so it didn't actually even matter which provider I used for my cell phone.

For that reason you can spend time researching prepaid options from AT&T, TMobile, Verizon, etc. if you like in addition to whatever Verizon is currently offering as an add-on to your current plan.

That video I made a few years ago, specifically regarding who makes devices that can stay on when parked and/or automatically power back on when you start your car next time, may or may not still be up to date. If you want to look at Verizon's offerings for hotspots, they're all listed here: https://www.verizon.com/internet-devices/

i have a huawei. (it's hooked up to the same battery pack as my camera)
works well, you just have to switch off "energy saving ", because if you leave it on, the device switches off when no active wifi traffic
though must say i hardly ever use it
Also; the camera sometimes deletes the hotspot, and so i have to reconnect it from scratch

Yes they do.

I use the MiFi JetPack 8800l from Verizon.

Added it as another device on my data plan, no issues for 3 years now. Works great.

I think they have a newer model now, just check out their website and you'll see what they have.

Yes they do.

I use the MiFi JetPack 8800l from Verizon.

Added it as another device on my data plan, no issues for 3 years now. Works great.

I think they have a newer model now, just check out their website and you'll see what they have.
How much extra you pay per month on verizon plan with that if you dont mind me asking

How much extra you pay per month on verizon plan with that if you dont mind me asking

Nothing for the device. I have a data plan that I can have as many devices on as I like.

Search for my other posts here, I made one awhile back about how much extra data it uses. Not that much at all.

Back