New 4K Starvis 2 dash camera

What they need is the original video, not the original media.
The original video only exists on the original media - anything else is a copy and may not be accepted depending on the specific jurisdiction.
If I record something on the 70mai Omni, it has no SD card. To submit the original media I would have to submit the dashcam, and how would they play that? (It doesn't do card reader mode.)
Too use a common term - you could be SOL.

Not on my computers, I haven't had a floppy disk reader for years, or a CD reader.
Not all computers are like your computer.

Now lets dive deep into CLOUD storage of video. How do I give original video of that when it is in the CLOUD? I think a lot of people are overthinking this. keep in mind there could be some laws in certain states or other areas of the world I am not familiar with. But to act as if every single car accident will entail a police investigation is kind of an intense level of thinking. Up here in Canada most of my customers will download the footage and show the police officer at scene of car accident and the police report is written up right there without insurance, lawyers or anyone else getting involved at that point.

the other times peolle go home download the footage to their phone and submit it to insurance company where the insurance company sees the footage. The insurance company accepts various video files which they state when submitting the video file footage.

I would love to hear what state laws allow police officers to take the dash camera from you which is your property without some sort of paperwork?

I would love to hear what state laws allow police officers to take the dash camera from you which is your property without some sort of paperwork?
The average police officer in the United States does not receive “lawyer level” training in Criminal Justice procedures like lawful collection of evidence.
They are given the absolute minimum training required by P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training).
Police can, and will confiscate anything they want, and “let the courts sort it out”.

Boy this post has gone way off topic. maybe most of this should be moved to a H.264 vs H.265 post. where everyone can battle it out. ha ha ha
OK, this is my last post.
Then we will move this cage match to an official H.264 vs. H.265 thread.

I am pretty much just doing web browsing, on a 12 core threadripper CPU with 48 GB RAM CUZ 16 GB of them died, and a higher end 16 GB GFX card.
This damn thing idle on windows desktop at about 180 watts, okay maybe a little less now with a more modern GFX card.

Rerally i should connect my laptop to my 32" screen, and attach a moue and a keyboard, that thing as i recall is just 34 watts.

Now lets dive deep into CLOUD storage of video. How do I give original video of that when it is in the CLOUD?...
You can't, and thus potentially fall into the SOL category.

This is why it's important to consider the lowest common denominator solution possible. Just because something is newer, utilizes the latest and greatest technology, is possibly more convenient, and has a neat phone APP does not mean it's better. If I'm using a dash cam for the primary purpose of capturing video for evidence (and I am) versus posting clips on YouTube or TikTok the ability to have that evidence accessible by the largest audience possible with the least amount of hassle is a major consideration and a shortcoming in this area, as in cloud only storage, is a definite show stopper and I'll be looking for a different product - No Discussion Necessary.

I am pretty much just doing web browsing, on a 12 core threadripper CPU with 48 GB RAM CUZ 16 GB of them died, and a higher end 16 GB GFX card.
This damn thing idle on windows desktop at about 180 watts, okay maybe a little less now with a more modern GFX card.

Rerally i should connect my laptop to my 32" screen, and attach a moue and a keyboard, that thing as i recall is just 34 watts.
I knew you were going to say something like this

Let me guess though, your smartphone isn't a flagship though haha

Now lets dive deep into CLOUD storage of video. How do I give original video of that when it is in the CLOUD? I think a lot of people are overthinking this. keep in mind there could be some laws in certain states or other areas of the world I am not familiar with. But to act as if every single car accident will entail a police investigation is kind of an intense level of thinking. Up here in Canada most of my customers will download the footage and show the police officer at scene of car accident and the police report is written up right there without insurance, lawyers or anyone else getting involved at that point.

the other times peolle go home download the footage to their phone and submit it to insurance company where the insurance company sees the footage. The insurance company accepts various video files which they state when submitting the video file footage.

That's it, different rules for different territories and countries lol

Hey, he didn't mention Denmark and that is always a rare plus! :happy:
Thank god, reminds me of that one grandpa or uncle that you have that keeps banging on about the war or some other hobby that you absolutely do not give two hoots about ;)

your smartphone isn't a flagship
It was not, but it was a 2 year or so halo model when i got it.
Back when Qualcomm still bopthered to name their new processors with some number, now they are just named gen 1 - 2 - 3 ASO
but it was up there at the top of what i would ever pay for a god damn phone, just like my new AMD GFX card it was 5000 DKkr, where as a 4090 Nvidia card are 3 X more expensive.

Funny thing, i did buy that phone in Denmark, even if i am careful not to spend my money here, tipping in on the destruction of the country that's seemingly being executed.

On a good note the Danish Thyra gas field in the north sea are up and running again after a 5 year long overhaul, so we got plenty of gas for ourself now, though i think it is mainly sold to Germany.
Not that gas was ever a problem here even with Putins tantrum.

OK this post is on topic, but a little nit picky.
I would really appreciate it if you could align all cameras to identical 50/50 road & sky for a more fair comparison.
The Viofo, BlackVue, and Thinkware look like they have to much sky.
I know it's a pain in the a** because I've done it, and I still managed to screw up the one single channel I had in my comparison.
You should see how @rcg530 does it, he uses lasers.

1. ) A229 Pro .png
2.) A139 Pro .png
3.) A119 Mini 2 .png
4.) A229 Plus .png

Last edited:
OK this post is on topic, but a little nit picky.
I would really appreciate it if you could align all cameras to identical 50/50 road & sky for a more fair comparison.
The Viofo, BlackVue, and Thinkware look like they have to much sky.
I know it's a pain in the a** because I've done it, and I still managed to screw up the one single channel I had in my comparison.
You should see how @rcg530 does it, he uses lasers.
Going to start doing recordings like this.

My goal is to always have a fair comparison between all units and have them mounted all at same lens height not like picture below.
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.29.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.29.45 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.29.45 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Is that the Nextbase IQ in the photo? *Vomits"
No Nextbase is entering my vehicle. I thought about it a few times. But i bet it would be one of my most negative videos to date. At least the Red Tiger you can get a 3 wire parking mode.

No Nextbase is entering my vehicle. I thought about it a few times. But i bet it would be one of my most negative videos to date. At least the Red Tiger you can get a 3 wire parking mode.
Phew. RedTiger is a turd but at least ones can be had dirt cheap, had a discussion with someone the other day who wanted a F7N cos it was literally $50 USD lol

Phew. RedTiger is a turd but at least ones can be had dirt cheap, had a discussion with someone the other day who wanted a F7N cos it was literally $50 USD lol
We install them all the time. People pay us more for install then what unit is worth.

Back