VIOFO А119V3 FIRMWARE

so HDR timer should move the resolution from 1440p 60 FPS to 1440p 30 FPS and set the HDR on right ? Because vvs49 says the opposite so I am confused
Yes, the HDR timer "should" work as your describing. If your using 60fps during the day and have the timer turn on HDR at night, then the 60fps will drop to 30fps while HDR is on. When the timer tells the camera to turn off HDR, then the fps should revert back to what is was set for before HDR turned on, which would be 60fps in your case. Try V2.6T as maybe that's when Viofo fixed it.

FYI, most feel that 60fps isn't very beneficial in dash cameras, so I don't think your missing anything.

so HDR timer should move the resolution from 1440p 60 FPS to 1440p 30 FPS and set the HDR on right ? Because vvs49 says the opposite so I am confused
Here is when the fix was talked about with the A119 Mini.

Yes, the HDR timer "should" work as your describing. If your using 60fps during the day and have the timer turn on HDR at night, then the 60fps will drop to 30fps while HDR is on. When the timer tells the camera to turn off HDR, then the fps should revert back to what is was set for before HDR turned on, which would be 60fps in your case. Try V2.6T as maybe that's when Viofo fixed it.

FYI, most feel that 60fps isn't very beneficial in dash cameras, so I don't think your missing anything.
thanks a lot for the responses, i appreciate it. Can you explain why 60 FPS would not be beneficial ? I've compared 30 FPS and 60 FPS in the day time, 60 FPS definitely makes it easier to read the plates. Am I wrong in this conclusion ?

thanks, so you are using 4k 30fps with HDR Auto ?

No, it's an A119 V3 which is 2K. I do not use HDR at all.

If I lived in a country with European sized license plates I would want to use HDR at night but in the western hemisphere license plates are smaller so there is no benefit from HDR at night for plate capture.

Where I live, with whatever version of the firmware I have tried I get the best results with 1440 - HDR off - 30 fps - exposure set to -1/3 EV.

Last edited:
I explained to you that there will be a pause when the HDR is triggered, and this is not allowed for the DVR during these 5 seconds, many events can be missed ..
And as soon as you turn on 60 fps, the timer stops working.
On the A119 mini, I think that it also does not work there ...
And if the switch occurs in the middle of the file, what will the file property show 60 or 30 fps!!?? :D

And if the switch occurs in the middle of the file, what will the file property show 60 or 30 fps!!?? :D
I believe the camera closes the current file and begins a new one with the appropriate fps.

That's right, which means there will be a pause, a break in the video recording !!

Even on A139 with its powerful processor, changing the resolution format without a pause is not possible, but what can we say about others then !!
There, even the HDR blocking is done, I set it to 60 fps and the HDR menu is no longer active!

Last edited:
Are you recording at 30 or 60fps? If you're recording with 60, you might try 30fps instead. A lower framerate basically means that the camera has more time to collect data for each frame. This improves the video quality at night according to my experience.

I record at 30 fps. I have the same bad quality in a few other videos.

Out of curiosity: did you even read back a few pages? Do you have any idea what CPL filter means?

Out of curiosity: did you even read back a few pages? Do you have any idea what CPL filter means?
I've been using CPLs on cameras for more than 45 years, so I'd say that I have a rough idea. As this is a fixed mount relative to the dashcam, and there are no instructions with the filters, I assumed that they were factory set - I thought that I read that somewhere. Systems where they are intended to be adjusted usually have a means of easily rotating them.

Anyway, off to look at the video.....

OK - I find it quite poor if this device needs to be adjusted as, if it were I'd expect it to be more easily adjustable. Indeed, other threads on the forum specifically state that it has been set at the factory, and should not need adjusting - e.g. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/circular-polariser-for-viofo-a119-v3.45232/
They are factory set and shouldn't need adjusting. There have been some reports of some not adjusted perfectly, so tweaking in those cases were necessary. Haven't heard any reports about this in quite awhile though.

I've noticed on both my V3 CPL's that there are 2 felt pen marks on the outer edge of the 2 lenses that are aligned.

I'm guessing that they are tested and aligned correctly at some build stage and marked.

I sent a message to Viofo.wdr is better than HDR. Hdr night is too dark ( a119 v3 ).wdr support.

Back