Viofo pre-production A119 Video samples (truck)

I notice a few files that don't seem to have any motion. That seems to my problem now, a bit too sensitive. Motion detection is what I always use to activate the camera when I start to drive, not for a parking mode. My old Itronics had a true parking mode function that recorded a few seconds before the motion was detected which was very useful in that situation. I guess motion detect ( and not a true parking mode) is still better than nothing for your requirements.

Nice video quality as well....

Yes, I couldn't figure out if the files with no movement were a continuation of a looped previous file, or triggered by ghosts. (would scare thai people...)
:)
A friend is using the cam that worked well in motion detection, would be nice to compare them. (May never see it again) That one seemed to pick up anyone walking near the truck, and not have excessive wasted file usage.
I didn't have much expectations of motion detection in this situation until I tried it on that camera. I can live without it, but if it works well, that's cool.

FWIW, the A119 has seen about 8500-9000 miles of use, and has been on 24 hours a day for the last two weeks. The first week it was on a switched power source.

Maybe it sees motion then starts recording (which takes a second or two), so you miss the event, similar to the a118 and many others, which made us say it's worthless.

which made us say it's worthless.

worthless as a parking mode yes, but for how I use it to activate when I start to drive and stop recording when I park for the night seems to do this ok.

worthless as a parking mode yes, but for how I use it to activate when I start to drive and stop recording when I park for the night seems to do this ok.
Well the other factor is that on boring stretches of roads such as straight, flat interstate highway, motion detect doesn't see enough motion so it goes to sleep. Which causes gaps in the video files and could potentially lose important footage if something happens. There are plenty of posts where we're telling people to turn it off because of missing footage.

I haven't noticed this with the A119. (Shutting off on long straight roads)

I've been parked for an hour or so, just noticed the A119 is locked up. Not in standby, locked up.
Looks like has been locked for over an hour, screen still showing view of the highway, red icon not flashing, like a still shot of that time.
Had to reboot, and formatted the card.

I haven't noticed this with the A119. (Shutting off on long straight roads)

I've been parked for an hour or so, just noticed the A119 is locked up. Not in standby, locked up.
Looks like has been locked for over an hour, screen still showing view of the highway, red icon not flashing, like a still shot of that time.
Was it hot or anything?

need to let @viofo know so the engineers can check this

Hot? In Bozeman, Montana?

No. I'm having some minor 'issues' with the A119.

Today it's been beeping occasionally, the series of 3 'Chirp Chirps' like I had before.
I wrote down the times to see if there was a pattern.....nope...kind of sporadic.
3:15, 3:32, 4:06. I may have missed some others if the radio was turned up.

Didn't stop recording or anything else...just the chirps.

Will find my other USB power supply and see what happens?

Haven't had that problem before... Sounds like the dash cam froze and won't respond to anything... maybe some stuff wearing out/heating up from long continuous usage? Or maybe the card corrupted?

It ran fairly normally after unplugging the power, reboot, and a reformat.

No strange voltages coming out of either power supply I was using, or the one I'm using now.

Well the other factor is that on boring stretches of roads such as straight, flat interstate highway, motion detect doesn't see enough motion so it goes to sleep.

Not sure what you mean by that, there is still plenty of motion if the car is moving. I have never had an issue with any of my dashcams in that situation.

Hot? In Bozeman, Montana?
Yes I saw Montana (I vood like to have seen Montana...), but thought maybe you were parked in the sun for a while or something. I haven't looked at the weather for the area as it's kinda far from me. :p

Not sure what you mean by that, there is still plenty of motion if the car is moving. I have never had an issue with any of my dashcams in that situation.
If you're on a straight, flat section of road with nothing on either side and no other vehicles around, the lines and reflectors in the road might not be enough to make the camera recognize motion, thus it goes to sleep.

If you're on a straight, flat section of road with nothing on either side and no other vehicles around, the lines and reflectors in the road might not be enough to make the camera recognize motion, thus it goes to sleep.

I suppose that is technically possible, but I would think a road like that would be pretty rare.....and absolutely impossible in Thailand :D

I suppose that is technically possible, but I would think a road like that would be pretty rare.....and absolutely impossible in Thailand :D

I've driven plenty of them here in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, new Mexico, and Colorado, and they probably exist in every other state except maybe Hawaii.

I've driven plenty of them here in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, new Mexico, and Colorado, and they probably exist in every other state except maybe Hawaii.

Roads that were completely featureless, not a rock, sign post, weeds......absolutely nothing that would show movement as you drive by?

As I mentioned in another post, I'm no dash cam expert, only a consumer and my experience is such and with that experience I have never seen any of my dash cams go sleep while the car is moving. I have no idea if this featureless road idea holds merit or not, but I am highly skeptical of it. Someone like @Mtz or @jokiin would be able to say if that is a possibility or not.

it's possible for the sensor to not detect enough change on long stretches of road, it's something that's fixable in firmware though

I haven't noticed the cam being warm. The direct sun thing isn't really an issue with most of the trucks I've used a cam in, due to the more vertical windshield, and most of the trucks have at least a modest, permanent 'visor' over the top of the windscreen. It's been dropping down to around 30F the last few nights.
Montana is pretty spectacular to drive through, preferably like in July. :)

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to mount a spare dashcam, pointed at the A119 to catch the glitches, but not sure there is a mounting option that would work within the adequate focus range? It looks like the only place would end up about 5 inches away from the A119 screen, maybe too close for the mobius A I have in here, somewhere?

.......absolutely nothing that would show movement as you drive by?
It's not a matter of not showing movement but rather showing enough movement that the camera will detect it. Some cameras are pretty abysmal in their motion detection capabilities - and that is being kind.

Some time back I had the idea to use a spare G1W series as a security monitor camera. Mounted it in my front window using a 120V-5V adapter for power. The camera was positioned to monitor the sidewalk & street in front of my house, the front porch and yard and the driveway coming up to the attached garage. Distance from the driveway to the camera was about 25 feet (8 meters).

So as to not record continuously I turned motion detection on. Over the course of 3 days not once did the camera recognize enough motion to start recording. There were vehicles of all sorts going down the street, people walking down the sidewalk, cars and SUVs entering and leaving the garage, people walking across the front yard and even my wife and myself going in and out of the front door multiple times. Nothing was recorded.

I did some subsequent experimentation and determined that the camera required significant detectable motion across about 1/3 to 1/2 the sensor for a period of about 1 second before it would wake and begin recording.

Needless to say I abandoned the idea of using it as a motion activated security camera. :(

Back