FoxOffer Dome G90 Dashcam Review - A7LA30, OV4689 CMOS

Give them time to fix it in software - the cameras you are referring to have been out for a long time and have had lots of iterations of fixes. The Ambarella A7LA70 devices with this same sensor are looking really good and in theory this should be capable of similar output :)

There were times the footage last night on the G90 was better in the dark than the camera with WDR - like I say it's swings and roundabouts.

If you want a good camera go and buy the Panorama now and you won't go far wrong :)

I've still got plenty of different settings to try yet with this one

G90 is not much higher than G1W's price so a possible candidate.

G90 is not much higher than G1W's price so a possible candidate.
Geekbuying has it on sale right now so it is even closer to G1W's price.

I don't have much idea about Geekbuying, but I do recommend Foxoffer, they have good connection with manufacturer.

I've noticed that I would have to turn off the motion detection, in order for the screen to go black when driving. I like this dashcam alot.

I don't have much idea about Geekbuying, but I do recommend Foxoffer, they have good connection with manufacturer.
Geekbuying don't have a good track record for after sales service, that would concern me the most

I see but $86 vs $68 is huge difference.
If only few bucks, may be but that's almost a third price difference.

the bad feedback is all to do with products that have problems, lots of feedback suggest they are very poor for followup when it comes to problems with product, for an actual sale and dispatch I don't think there is any issue

Okay... since geekbuying is active here in the forum, hopefully, they resolve any issue if there is.

maybe inappropriate to talk about Geekbuying in a Foxoffer product review thread though, there's no indication that their version is the same either

If you want a good camera go and buy the Panorama now and you won't go far wrong :)
I've still got plenty of different settings to try yet with this one

Panorama is little bit out of budget.

So you think G90 is worth twice the price of a G1W or should I just get a G1W for now and decide later on?

To be fair some people have different preferences on what they want - some want bright video at night, others want more details - personally I fall on the more detail side of the camp.

Even on the Panorama they changed it with the latest version so night video is darker, and a lot of people prefer the old version which isn't as lifelike but shows more detail.

Amusingly I put a video of my previous A7 device on Youtube and I thought with WDR the PQ was awful as it was smearing and no detail, but someone else commented they thought it was the best they had seen - we all have different needs.

I've just been rewatching the G90 videos on my Macbook and to be honest the ones with HDR off look great - I'll try and head out tonight to get some dark footage with HDR off so that we can see how that looks - from the Foxoffer video that was taken with it off as I don't see the same artefacts I saw with it on - so potentially the output could be much better than you have seen as it was when I turned WDR off on my old A7 3H2F-D

I've noticed that some of my radio stations have some interference issues with the G90. The HDR does look better, however it runs up more space on the SD card with shorter videos than with the regular 1080p.

That's weird as my videos were exactly the same size with HDR on or off (120.1MB - ~15Mbps) - what firmware version are you running?

I'll check it out again tonight; I'm having a real difficult time in mounting the camera on the dotted lines. I've tried the pringles cup thing but that didn't work.

I did not mean to highjack the tread or anything Foxoffer offers great products and service, and the things jokiin mentions are correct. I'll try to compare mine with reverend when it comes in.

I seen it has a USB port, but it also says Mount with power pins in the pictures. Can it be powered through the mount or USB?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's powered through the mount connection - it's a tricky angle to get the cable in at the same time as the mount if you do want to do it that way though.

The mount seems very similar to the 3H2F-D I had and makes me wonder if it would support a GPS mount like the 3H2F-D comes with.

I've just made a massive beginners error. Just done 90 minutes of driving and forgot I'd used the memory card in the 402G earlier so it was pretty much full - as the files were in a different folder the camera has been looping the same 750MB so it captured not a lot of footage! I forgot to format the card!!!!

What a dick.

Anyway, here is the night footage with HDR turned off.

https://mega.co.nz/#!ZBkmRDwC!06a0o0-l3fC3mNU23BTntrMNLrQGptrmRI1Cv_zchFo
https://mega.co.nz/#!4VUiwYaK!m2hxdCW4mv--hqWZIFXh4q-_53sPC-ZnGr4944C9tpo

And the YT links too:

As a comparison here is the same GT680W footage

https://mega.co.nz/#!oZ1B0IBR!3adFxXpxeD9WEb6Yt5cFwqyUi7V9Be2Pv5R7zImfdqA

It feels like even though HDR is off that the camera still has WDR enabled as the footage is very similar indeed although the G90 has less noise in the image.

Last edited:
The footage isn't as clear as the footage on the FoxOffer website - @billknow - do you know what settings were used on the camera when that was taken please as I'm wondering if I have something set wrong?

I seem to have a nightmare with most cameras at night and to be honest this is handling it better than most I've tried. I'm running uprated xenons / HIDs - the Osram Xenarc Cool Blue Intense which are about as bright as you get - but the colour temp is 5k so I'm wondering if that's causing cameras issues at night as they overpower the sensor or something.

Got it hooked up in DirectUSB - the upload option doesn't seem to actually save the firmware from the device though.

It looks like the firmware version installed is 0.1 and from the 25th April 2014.

Found 1 busses, 1 devices changed
bus=0, port=0
Dev#1: 0x4255 (Amba) : 0x0008 () : 123456789ABC has 1 configs
State is BOOT
Found 1 AMBA device!
Generate DRAM parameters "C:\Users\administrator\Downloads\DirectUSB_Universal\sv\a7l\bst_a7lbub.bin" ok
Init DRAM ok.
[0] Wait device re-init...
Found 0 busses, 2 devices changed
bus=0, port=0
Dev#1: 0x4255 (AMBA) : 0x0001 (Ambarella USB generic class) : 123456789ABC has 1 configs
State is LOAD
State is LOAD
Found 1 AMBA device!
[0] Found.
Receive 4096 bytes
bst: 0xdf0b0a9e 1.3 (2014/4/25) 0x00000000 0x00000001 (2048)
pri: 0x19b65170 1.3 (2014/4/25) 0xc0000000 0x00000000 (132304)
bak: 0xaecab8f1 5.1 (2014/4/25) 0xc00a0000 0x00000000 (62556)
rom: 0xee7c6b34 0.1 (2014/4/25) 0xc0100000 0x00000000 (6946820)
S/N:
usbdl_mode: 0
auto_boot: 1
cmdline: "lcd=t27p05 c_dcf=enable record_fmt=mov_adpcm"

Pictures of the mount:

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Back