Nextbase IQ

So, just received a email from Nextabse saying the IQ is for sale and also at Halfords £449, I think.

That's just for the plug and play front camera. I can't seem to find the 2 channel option and if that's true, what a crap release of a so called Premier product from Nextbase.

You would have thought they would have the whole package for people who want it.

And there was no offers either, I pretty sure one email I got stated that there would be offers for early purchases !!

Anyway, I'm not buying this until its been slated, tried and tested and updated by early purchasers.

So, just received a email from Nextabse saying the IQ is for sale and also at Halfords £449, I think.

That's just for the plug and play front camera. I can't seem to find the 2 channel option and if that's true, what a crap release of a so called Premier product from Nextbase.

You would have thought they would have the whole package for people who want it.

And there was no offers either, I pretty sure one email I got stated that there would be offers for early purchases !!

Anyway, I'm not buying this until its been slated, tried and tested and updated by early purchasers.
Just the battery and no capacitor is enough to say no...

Just the battery and no capacitor is enough to say no...
The pricing on here made me laugh: https://www.techradar.com/vehicle-t...might-just-be-the-smartest-dash-cam-ever-made

The cheapest version is 1080p and they're charging 350 pounds? What is this , a sick joke?

Oh and that's just for the front/interior cabin combo. To add the 2k rear camera it's another 150 pounds.

Just gets worse and worse reading this.

And as if you haven't been raped enough already by the costs, the Witness Mode and Emergency SOS features require a subscription cost that's ongoing. That's right, either another 7 or 9 pounds a month.

Last edited:
I was wondering what the AI would do, think I have found it:

Nextbase says the iQ keeps an eye on the voltage of your car’s battery, and if this falls below a certain level the system will shut down to prevent your car being unable to start.

It does say "the AI-powered Nextbase iQ" :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

$500 for an FHD camera? Are they going to sell a single one?

RoadWatch AI (Coming soon)
AI technology detects the speed of other vehicles in a recording
So the AI is not actually available, and when it is, sometime in the future, it will be in the cloud, and only available if you pay the monthly subscription.

Looks a rather vibration prone mount!

So the AI is not actually available, and when it is, sometime in the future, it will be in the cloud, and only available if you pay the monthly subscription.

Looks a rather vibration prone mount!
The AI is a load of crap. Some of the things like ADAS and DMS that it mentions, errr I already have that in my three year old car. The speed stuff around you, I've seen that in car reviews of cars on the market now. All cars are going to get these safety features going forward, no matter if it's a budget or a luxury car.

When you drill down to it, there's hardly anything here or nothing at all that is revolutionary here like they claim their product to be. This is just one big money rip-off money making exercise, in the hope they rope in enough gullible consumers to pay for their product.

The AI is a load of crap....
For the most part, in a retail environment, it's nothing more than marketing BS. AI has been in the press a lot so public awareness is high and therefore ripe for 'smoke and mirrors' claims.

For the most part, in a retail environment, it's nothing more than marketing BS. AI has been in the press a lot so public awareness is high and therefore ripe for 'smoke and mirrors' claims.
Of course, it's just a buzzword that's the flavour of the decade. Companies will milk it to the max.

How useful is it really? Depends though. ADAS for me is a bit of a hit and miss, and sunset and sunrise throws the sensors off so I tend to turn it off. DMS completely useless for me.

Once you drill down to it, the useful features in this Nextbase dashcam, what are they worth? Certainly nowhere nowhere near what they are charging.

$13.99 or $19.99 / month plan on top of the insane pricing, no thanks! The offering is 3 whopping months free service. Guess my Dride (LOL) stays on the window for now. Sad when my cheapo Amazon camera is the best option right now.

You know none of us are going to be asked to be Nextbase Ambassadors

You know none of us are going to be asked to be Nextbase Ambassadors
First thing we will do is throw it out if its using a battery and not a capacitor!

I prefer if things do not have AI written on them, just like i prefer things do not read Nestle and a whole host of other brands.

The AI is a load of crap.
Sometimes AI is fantastic, I have a Samsung washing machine with AI, a major marketing feature, the only thing the AI does is to rearrange the menu so that the programs you use most are the first on the selector, this is great, I only ever need to scroll down two items, and normally only zero or one instead of around 20, well worth having :)

Doesn't quite match my definition of AI, but that doesn't matter because it is useful and very sensible, except that it wastes several seconds, unnecessarily telling you that it is reorganising the menu using AI every time you turn it on, which I guess is just marketing trying to convince you that you will never buy another make of washing machine!

I've yet to see useful AI on a dashcam...

The washing machine here have 2 knobs, i think the one i and every one else use is the temperature knob.
Actually the other knob i dont even look at, it could be others use it CUZ i have not noticed if it change setting.

Its like coffee machines, in the old days you added water + coffee, and turned the damn thing on, now its turned into a science project, and it would seem just choosing what kind of coffee you want is a science or at least a project in determining what is trendy to drink right now.

O and slightly related to this coffee subject i brought up, dont get me started on peoples intake of caffeinated drinks. or amount of coffee for that matter, i get 1 cup when i wake up and i sure as hell do not need it the rest of the day.
To me it seem like the world is sick and extremely energy deprived, so it constantly need artificial stimulants.

It seems like the whole Nextbase team is a joke. Awful marketing teams didn't analyze the market properly. They thought AI will bring them more customers :D ... waiting for expert reviews.

I dont think they have analysed the market at all, to me at least Nextbase always seemed to follow their own doctrine, like using batteries in the cameras.
But for sure AI is a "kapow" word, and so many will want to slap it on their product as there are literally many ( too many ) people that will look for that.

I suppose next year we will se AI ice crams, and AI softdrinks. and what not

So I've been talking to Nextbase about the IQ and given that I'm gonna see them later this week at SEMA, I wanna put together a list of questions that I have regarding the IQ and things to know about the dashcam in general. Here's my initial thoughts. Let me know what else you'd like to know.

Features:
Front/interior
Rear cam is optional
4K/2K/1K front cam models
Roadwatch AI Driver Assist feature displays speed and distance of other vehicles. How does it work? Computer vision or radar? Accuracy?
Radar? I saw it on their website earlier, but no longer now at launch. If present, what's it used for and when does it transmit? What frequencies?
Voice commands

Video Quality:
Sensors for all the different models?
HDR?
Image stabilization.. resolution drop when activated?

Parking:
What parking recording modes?
Buffered motion/impact detection?
Power draw when parked? Similar to Blackvue, perhaps?
OBD and 2-wire hardwire cable available (how does 2-wire option switch between driving/parking mode?)

AI:
What makes the motion detection better than other dashcams that have motion detection?
How does the "AI" bit work, exactly, especially given it's now a popular buzzword?

Cloud:
Livestreaming from all 3 cams to app
Latency with livestreaming?
SOS for crashes
Notifications for speed exceeded
Voice commands to start livestreaming to cloud and emergency contact
Which files are stored in cloud, not just in the dashcam?
Remote firmware updates?
Connect via WiFi when parked in garage?
Pricing? (On their website, 3 plans including 1 free one)

Misc:
Battery instead of supercapacitor? If so, why?
Why is the price so high? (1080p $500, 2K $600, 4K $700, rear cam $200)

Looking over things, I'm not sure why the price is so high. I'm curious what advantages this offers over Blackvue's recently announced Starvis 2 4K LTE models. I'm guessing they're gonna bring up the smart AI stuff and so it'd be nice to learn more about the specific advantages and benefits.

You " grill " those bastards M8 :p

The 70mai Omni also have AI and a reasonable price, i am however not convinced of its smarts, granted motion detect do not crank out a lot of events, not even a little, CUZ it require a human figure to stand still in view for some seconds before it engage.
But i dont think very many smash and grab events start with the PERP standing looking at the car first, actually from what i have seen they often arrive in a car beside the target car. and then smash bang and your stuff is gone.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cpo IQ 12
D IQ 36
Back