Nextbase IQ

You could maybe ask them in regard to batteries, if they are aware that hard core dashcam users have for years advised against battery powered dashcams, maybe get them to slam hard core dashcam users.

Is it STARVIS 2? I'm sort of thinking it might not be considering how long ago they started developing it!

What is the IQ like? (Image Quality :D ). or maybe the question should be, what does"iQ" stand for?

What is in that huge mount? It has the antennas attached, but there must be more than that.

What is the wake up time on radar trigger?

"It's also pitching the iQ as a platform, onto which the company can add new features via future over-the-air updates."

What new features are likely to get auto-installed over the air?

How is anyone ever going to learn all those flashing colour codes on page 36 of the user manual?

After Christmas is complete, can you turn off all the "neon" illuminations, especially on the rear camera?

How do you pronounce "Hey iQ..." for the voice commands?

Last edited:
Sometimes AI is fantastic, I have a Samsung washing machine with AI, a major marketing feature, the only thing the AI does is to rearrange the menu so that the programs you use most are the first on the selector, this is great, I only ever need to scroll down two items, and normally only zero or one instead of around 20, well worth having :)

Doesn't quite match my definition of AI, but that doesn't matter because it is useful and very sensible, except that it wastes several seconds, unnecessarily telling you that it is reorganising the menu using AI every time you turn it on, which I guess is just marketing trying to convince you that you will never buy another make of washing machine!

I've yet to see useful AI on a dashcam...
That's what I mean,.that doesn't sound like AI to me that's just the washing machine remembering your preferences. So silly how everyone just wants to jump on the buzzword.

I dont think they have analysed the market at all, to me at least Nextbase always seemed to follow their own doctrine, like using batteries in the cameras.
But for sure AI is a "kapow" word, and so many will want to slap it on their product as there are literally many ( too many ) people that will look for that.

I suppose next year we will se AI ice crams, and AI softdrinks. and what not
Already have AI soft drinks with Coca Cola bringing out the Y3000 flavour that was apparently created by AI.

It tastes like bubblegum to me so not sure how AI got to that but whatever haha

So I've been talking to Nextbase about the IQ and given that I'm gonna see them later this week at SEMA, I wanna put together a list of questions that I have regarding the IQ and things to know about the dashcam in general. Here's my initial thoughts. Let me know what else you'd like to know.

Features:
Front/interior
Rear cam is optional
4K/2K/1K front cam models
Roadwatch AI Driver Assist feature displays speed and distance of other vehicles. How does it work? Computer vision or radar? Accuracy?
Radar? I saw it on their website earlier, but no longer now at launch. If present, what's it used for and when does it transmit? What frequencies?
Voice commands

Video Quality:
Sensors for all the different models?
HDR?
Image stabilization.. resolution drop when activated?

Parking:
What parking recording modes?
Buffered motion/impact detection?
Power draw when parked? Similar to Blackvue, perhaps?
OBD and 2-wire hardwire cable available (how does 2-wire option switch between driving/parking mode?)

AI:
What makes the motion detection better than other dashcams that have motion detection?
How does the "AI" bit work, exactly, especially given it's now a popular buzzword?

Cloud:
Livestreaming from all 3 cams to app
Latency with livestreaming?
SOS for crashes
Notifications for speed exceeded
Voice commands to start livestreaming to cloud and emergency contact
Which files are stored in cloud, not just in the dashcam?
Remote firmware updates?
Connect via WiFi when parked in garage?
Pricing? (On their website, 3 plans including 1 free one)

Misc:
Battery instead of supercapacitor? If so, why?
Why is the price so high? (1080p $500, 2K $600, 4K $700, rear cam $200)

Looking over things, I'm not sure why the price is so high. I'm curious what advantages this offers over Blackvue's recently announced Starvis 2 4K LTE models. I'm guessing they're gonna bring up the smart AI stuff and so it'd be nice to learn more about the specific advantages and benefits.
You know what they're gonna answer with: "it's oUr PrOPriETARy TeCh so We CanT AnSweR tHaT"

Is it STARVIS 2? I'm sort of thinking it might not be considering how long ago they started developing it!

What is the IQ like? (Image Quality :D ). or maybe the question should be, what does"iQ" stand for?

What is in that huge mount? It has the antennas attached, but there must be more than that.

What is the wake up time on radar trigger?

"It's also pitching the iQ as a platform, onto which the company can add new features via future over-the-air updates."

What new features are likely to get auto-installed over the air?

How is anyone ever going to learn all those flashing colour codes on page 36 of the user manual?

After Christmas is complete, can you turn off all the "neon" illuminations, especially on the rear camera?

How do you pronounce "Hey iQ..." for the voice commands?
So many questions. And of course they recommend their own brand of memory card: "if another brand of SD card is used we cannot guarantee results"

Still basically hanging off a stalk
Maybe still battery that has historically failed between 1 and 2 years
I don't want any complicated cloud stuff or the other fancy gimmicks

I want a simple dashcam that just records in high quality to any good quality sdcard without the need to format fortnightly

They should have developed their 380 design. No stalk = vibration free over rough surfaces. Unit can be removed and reattached without the need to realign every time. Should be minimum 1440 and have the facility for a CPL ......... Oh, I'm describing the Viofo A119

Still basically hanging off a stalk
Maybe still battery that has historically failed between 1 and 2 years
I don't want any complicated cloud stuff or the other fancy gimmicks

I want a simple dashcam that just records in high quality to any good quality sdcard without the need to format fortnightly

They should have developed their 380 design. No stalk = vibration free over rough surfaces. Unit can be removed and reattached without the need to realign every time. Should be minimum 1440 and have the facility for a CPL ......... Oh, I'm describing the Viofo A119
This product they're trying to go for is begging for failure.

SOS for crashes
So when I have an accident and find myself trapped upside down, the emergency services will get an SOS call from my car, an SOS call from my phone, and an SOS call from my dashcam... or maybe they have some system of coordination so that the one call can include all the important information from all devices?

What is the AI processor actually used for? Most of the AI features could be implemented in normal logic on a normal processor, maybe more reliably! Can the AI be trusted to always get things right?

Why does it need image stabilisation, when none of the best dashcams have it, only a few cheap ones?

So when I have an accident and find myself trapped upside down, the emergency services will get an SOS call from my car, an SOS call from my phone, and an SOS call from my dashcam... or maybe they have some system of coordination so that the one call can include all the important information from all devices?

What is the AI processor actually used for? Most of the AI features could be implemented in normal logic on a normal processor, maybe more reliably! Can the AI be trusted to always get things right?

Why does it need image stabilisation, when none of the best dashcams have it, only a few cheap ones?
Good questions. It's a mystery mate.
Like, Why do people keep trusting politicians? We will never know..lol :LOL:

It probably needs image stabilization because it's still basically hanging off a stalk so rough roads will still cause vibration

It probably needs image stabilization because it's still basically hanging off a stalk so rough roads will still cause vibration
Yes, looks a particularly vibration prone design on this one, but the question was for Nextbase to answer, we already know the real answer!

Just finished up at the Nextbase booth and shot a video going over it. It’s more of a high level video and later we’ll do a second one with one of the dashcam designers to go into technical detail.

As far as some things I learned:

Omnivision sensors, though the video quality is better than the 622.
Ambarella CPU
No HDR
Supercapacitor instead of battery
Radar is for parking only, band unknown
Radar sounds like Thinkware’s approach with low energy consumption and wakes up for motion
Video stored locally and automatically uploads for events like impacts
LTE can be reached while dashcam is in sleep state, needs to be woken up and then you can live stream
AI helps do things like differentiate between people, cars, animals, etc to cut down on false alerts

Last edited:
Looking forward to see Video

Just finished up at the Nextbase booth and shot a video going over it. It’s more of a high level video and later we’ll do a second one with one of the dashcam designers to go into technical detail.

As far as some things I learned:

Image sensors, though the video quality is better than the 622.
Ambarella CPU
No HDR
Supercapacitor instead of battery
Radar is for parking only, band unknown
Radar sounds like Thinkware’s approach with low energy consumption and wakes up for motion
Video stored locally and automatically uploads for events like impacts
LTE can be reached while dashcam is in sleep state, needs to be woken up and then you can live stream
AI helps do things like differentiate between people, cars, animals, etc to cut down on false alerts
Let me guess, omnivision sensor and no Starvis 2?

Jeepers cannot wait to see what this **** show of a model turns out to be haha

I actually like the performance of the 1080p omnivision OS02K10 sensor in the 70mai.
And dont forget the OV4689 or whatever it was called, at least back then it did alright for itself against Sony sensors.

OV sensors also seem to be popular in some Chinese phones.

If its no HDR, and we assume 2.0 μm, then it cant be much else than the 0H08B sensor, CUZ other OV sensors without HDR are < 2.0 μm
And it better be CUZ the other OV sensors without HDR are 1 μm or so.

Of course it could also be the sensor can do HDR but they are just not leveraging it.

Hoping 4 https://www.ovt.com/products/ox08d10

Look interesting to me https://www.ovt.com/theiacel-technology/

Last edited:
I actually like the performance of the 1080p omnivision OS02K10 sensor in the 70mai.
And dont forget the OV4689 or whatever it was called, at least back then it did alright for itself against Sony sensors.

OV sensors also seem to be popular in some Chinese phones.
Yes in some Chinese phones but also front facing cameras on Samsung's and others for context. And these China phones use Sony sensors now for the most part.

Like you said, the OV4689 in the OG A119 was reliable as anything.

But compared to Starvis 2, it won't hold a candle up to that. Cost cutting by Nextbase.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Agie IQ 3
cpo IQ 12
D IQ 36
Back