No GPS - So where is it?

unhandyman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I've had a present of a Dashcam - Autovox B40 A118C and B60 Dash...S Module (which I believe to be the GPS unit)
On powering the unit there was a message on screen which read "No GPS".

So having read a number of threads on like subjects I've upgraded the firmware per instructions on another part of this site to "A118C_20160316" and the version is confirmed within the camera menu.

Problem is that there is still a message on screen which reads "No GPS"

I'm running the unit on my workbench (fed from a mains/USB power supply)
The GPS unit is plugged into the middle socket and the device itself sits on the window ledge (with sticky pads down)

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated

Incidentally - should it matter - the boxes that the devices came in are both labeled Auto-Vox and carry barcodes XOODLSFJ7 and XOOG6DA5X

regards

if it says no gps it's not detecting it at all, it would show in red if it was connected but had no signal

if it's the second version of this A118C (not from the original factory) there are lots of reports of GPS not working on that version

firmware A118C_FW_0320 20150312 GPS works good .

if it says no gps it's not detecting it at all, it would show in red if it was connected but had no signal

if it's the second version of this A118C (not from the original factory) there are lots of reports of GPS not working on that version

Wow that was a quick response.
How do I tell if its the second version?

it likely is the second version, some of the Chinese sellers have been sourcing a cheaper version in their never ending quest to try and be the cheapest so people will buy from them

it likely is the second version, some of the Chinese sellers have been sourcing a cheaper version in their never ending quest to try and be the cheapest so people will buy from them

So does the fault lie with the Camera module or the GPS module - Is it repairable/recoverable?

I have discovered (by using a spare plug and multimeter) that there is no DC voltage present on the barrel, ring or tip of the plug. I would have thought that the GPS module would require something to power it

So does the fault lie with the Camera module or the GPS module - Is it repairable/recoverable?

it would be the camera at fault

I have discovered (by using a spare plug and multimeter) that there is no DC voltage present on the barrel, ring or tip of the plug. I would have thought that the GPS module would require something to power it

yes the GPS needs power, that supports the idea that it's the camera at fault also

I haven't looked at one of these new knockoff versions to see what they've done differently but there's obviously something about them that is different as a few reports already from others that haven't been able to get GPS working, I believe it's a hardware issue though as the firmware from the real one loads up ok, I suspect the sellers aren't even aware of this as they are selling GPS antennas with them that don't work, I see the camera selling around $20 cheaper than the real one so there has to be some changes to get the price down, I've seen it selling for less than the real one costs, you don't make a business out of doing that

it would be the camera at fault

yes the GPS needs power, that supports the idea that it's the camera at fault also

I haven't looked at one of these new knockoff versions to see what they've done differently but there's obviously something about them that is different as a few reports already from others that haven't been able to get GPS working, I believe it's a hardware issue though as the firmware from the real one loads up ok, I suspect the sellers aren't even aware of this as they are selling GPS antennas with them that don't work, I see the camera selling around $20 cheaper than the real one so there has to be some changes to get the price down, I've seen it selling for less than the real one costs, you don't make a business out of doing that

Ah well, as it was a present I have no idea where it came from (the packaging and instruction booklets look genuine - to me anyway). I shall have to install it in the car or the donor could well be upset. I'll maybe take it apart in due course and check there are no loose wires or something obvious like that.

just use it without the GPS and you'll probably find it will work fine

That's what I plan to do - it will at least avoid any awkward discussions as to why I'm not using it.
If you'd like photographs of the inside I'll take it apart before I install it

Since the socket is soldered direct to the PCB you may not be able to see much if anything unless they actually forgot to solder it completely. Which case you can reflow it or add solder and maybe it'll work?

Oh but wait, you're "unhandy"... :p

We don't offer A118C to Auto-VOX now, seems this version is from other manufactures.
Regarding the GPS module, there are also some different versions in the market.

We can not guarantee other A118C can work with our firmware.
BTW, we are going to release a new firmware beta version today.

Back