Where to mount A118C on Honda civic

wilnor

Reaction score
Country
Australia
View attachment 19925 I just purchased the 2 x A118C dashcam one for my 2010 Toyota Camry and the other for my 08 Civic VTI. I'm going to install both this weekend but my concern is on my 08 Civic as I'm not sure where to mount it. I initially wanted to mount it behind the rear view mirror to make it as discreet as possible but as you know the 8th gen civic wipers are different compared to other cars. The wipers wipe out from the centre, meaning if it rains, the part of the windscreen at the top in the centre where I would put the cam does not get cleaned of rain.

So where is the best place to mount it? Thanks

Attachments

• 12472241_1041446042544511_5510075520329018974_n.jpg
    12472241_1041446042544511_5510075520329018974_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 2013 Civic. I even though I have a sedan I installed the coupe wiper blades as they are 1-2 inches longer and therefore slightly decreased the uncleared portion. The wipers are close when they "scissor" but do not touch. I installed my camera just to the driver side of the rear view mirror and low enough that the uncleared area is only in the top passenger sided corner of view (this is usually just sky anyways). It's not ideal, but it was the best solution I had.

Well, you could do behind the mirror if you get some RainX, but otherwise jokiin is right.

probably not the ideal type of camera for this car
what particular camera would you recommend jokiin?

I even though I have a sedan I installed the coupe wiper blades as they are 1-2 inches longer and therefore slightly decreased the uncleared portion. The wipers are close when they "scissor" but do not touch. I installed my camera just to the driver side of the rear view mirror and low enough that the uncleared area is only in the top passenger sided corner of view (this is usually just sky anyways). .

can i also change my wiper blades same as yours? If you could post some pictures on where you mount it that would be great.

you might be able to get away with a longer wiper and have the camera mounted lower, might not be too attractive though, otherwise you're going to have to look at mounting elsewhere

I have longer wiper blades on all my (old) cars. Looking at your attached picture I think you can use ones even 5 cm longer. Just measure and imagine how can look a longer blade.

enjoy,
Mtz

I have longer wiper blades on all my (old) cars. Looking at your attached picture I think you can use ones even 5 cm longer. Just measure and imagine how can look a longer blade.

do i need to replace just the wiper refill (rubber) or the whole wiper assembly?

I bought a A118C and installed on my 1989 GMC PU. You must have room above the dash camera to slide it off the windshield mounted bracket, so I did a lot of measuring and marking the position behind the mirror. I mounted the bracket to the glass and slipped the camera into the mount. I tried to attach the USB power cord to the camera, but could not. I had to remove the bracket (I wondered what that piece of string was for.... LOL) and re-position it lower on the glass and to the left so I could attach the USB cord and see the camera's screen. The mini USB receptacle is pointed up. If it had been straight out or down a little, everything would have been fine. I bet they sell a lot of brackets because of that.

When you mount yours, make sure the USB cord has room to plug into the camera.

The new A119 will not have this problem because the USB connector is on the side and the USB cable is angled.
You can see pictures in the VIOFO A119 testing thread.

enjoy,
Mtz

The new A119 will not have this problem because the USB connector is on the side and the USB cable is angled.
You can see pictures in the VIOFO A119 testing thread.

enjoy,
Mtz
Does it still Mount in a similar way where it slides up a little to remove it?

Yes, same style as A118. :-(
But I think now for A119 is more important in this way because the mount is including the GPS antenna (optional) and on the mount and camera there are 4 connectors like Mini series.
And the USB connector will be not touched anymore when removing the camera from windshield because it will be in the GPS mount.
For non-GPS mount is still needed to insert the USB cable into the camera.

enjoy,
Mtz

The factory sample I received have only the case of GPS mount, no antenna inside and I know this only because is not heavy as expected I will open it tomorrow.

enjoy,
Mtz

The factory sample I received have only the case of GPS mount, no antenna inside and I know this only because is not heavy as expected I will open it tomorrow.

enjoy,
Mtz

no need to break it open, just wondered if you had tried it with GPS yet

In my car is mounted the non-GPS mount because the other is at home and I want to show to people in some YouTube video.
Also I think the non-GPS mount offers the most closed lens to the windshield for a dashcam. Because the GPS mount is thicker I expect the lens to not be so close to the windshield and to be like actual A118.
But being so close to the windshield I start asking myself how can fit there a CPL lens if will be offered as option.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back